Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: IMA Looking around  (Read 2526 times)

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
IMA Looking around
« on: May 07, 2005, 04:06:16 pm »
I found this question I thought was a good question since I dont live in Hawaii and the other is something about swarm if it helps some folks :}

bee repellent
« Thread started on: Aug 10th, 2004, 05:08am »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This morning's Advertiser had an article about bee deposits on vehicles (either bee poop or bee regurgitation). My parking lot at work is surrounded by false purple heather, plumeria and hibiscus. There are a lot of bees, and all of the vehicles in the lot are covered by bee deposits (which are very difficult to remove). Is there anything I can do to prevent or minimize the amount of bee deposits left on my vehicle? (Other than replacing all of the vegetation with concrete?) Is there some sort of scent I can leave out to repel the bees? I would appreciate any suggestions!
Mahalo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

aloha,
my name is lynn. i am currently a student at uh in hilo who is really interested in learning how to keep bees. if anyone needs any help on the big island or knows anyone who might, i would greatly appreciate the contact and look forward to getting involved. i am a really responsible person and love to do research. please feel free to email me at lkoehler@hawaii.edu
mahalo,
lynn
----------------------------------------------------------

What is a Swarm?  
Before calling a beekeeper, please consider the following questions and be prepared to answer a few questions.
1. Is this really a swarm?  
  Consider these points.
Time of Year
Appearance

Swarms mostly occur in the Spring, rarely in the early fall, and almost never in the late summer.
  A honey bee swarm can be described as a compact ball of bees, as small as a grapefruit (uncommon), to the size of a football (most common), to as large as a basketball (also uncommon). No nest materials will be seen or found. If you see a nest, it is not a swarm. If they are honey bees (see next question) then this is an established hive. It can be removed but is more difficult.
  Swarms also appear suddenly. You may even see them settle onto the branch or bush. If you see this exciting moment, then you definitely have a honey bee swarm.
2. Are these Honey Bees?  
  Consider these points.
Fuzzy or Shiny?
Color - Yellow or Brown

Look at the two photos of honey bees above.
  Yellow Jacket wasps are frequently mistaken for Honey Bees.

Yellow Jackets are YELLOW
  Honey Bees can be
GOLDEN
BROWN or even
GREY

Honey Bees also are furry. The fur helps the bees keep warm all winter. Yellow Jackets have no fur because they do not live through the winter, instead, individual queens hibernate underground.
3. Where is the swarm located?  
  Consider these points.
Inside or Outside?
High or Low?

A swarm will settle on a branch, bush, or even objects like cars or hydrants. If the honey bees are INSIDE, then it either is an established hive or not honey bees. If it is an established hive, it may be very difficult to remove. Expect to pay a fee for removal.
  If the nest is underground, in Maryland, this is most likely a yellow jacket nest, but not honey bees. If the swarm is very high, it may be too difficult to capture. Give the beekeeper an honest opinion of its height.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
IMA Looking around
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 04:30:50 pm »
Buy a cover for your car at autozone or pep boys or some other do it yourself everything in the universe parts store.

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
IMA Looking around
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 04:48:27 pm »
thank you thank you glad to be here tonight with all of you,

I will be here all week try the salmon ask your waiter about the specials

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
IMA Looking around
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 06:30:20 pm »
Don't take your car to work.

It was late summer, it was the size of a grapefruit, it was on the ground, and it was honey bees.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/