Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: round up on garden  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
round up on garden
« on: June 18, 2011, 09:58:09 am »
ive heard you can put roundup weed and grass killer on the yard before you start tilling,  and you have a lot less weed growth......is this true?
thanks
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: round up on garden
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 10:51:25 am »
it will kill grass, but it's not so hot on weeds and has no impact on seed growth.  if you are going to 'till, you are probably better to just get out there with a rake and clean it out good before you plant. it you are going to plant starts, try some pre-emergent to help control weed regrowth.  if you are plating seeds, don't do that.
i am a roundup fan, but i do believe it should be used sparingly, and i don't think i'd use it in my food garden....

those rolls of black garden mat stuff that you put down and then plant through work well.  don't remember what they are called but they are easy to find.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 04:33:44 pm »
i just let it go this one time,  just got done tilling and plowing,  couldnt wait to try out my new tractor tiller. that ive been waiting o for a month.  I also got a walk behind seed planter.  so i cant use the fabric stuff.  what about 10.10.10 fertilizer.  do you use that?
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 04:39:29 pm »
i have an endless supply of rotted manure.  i don't use anything else. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 05:49:41 pm »
i just let it go this one time,  just got done tilling and plowing,  couldnt wait to try out my new tractor tiller. that ive been waiting o for a month.  I also got a walk behind seed planter.  so i cant use the fabric stuff.  what about 10.10.10 fertilizer.  do you use that?

5-24-24 would do you better methinks. No too much need for the nitrogen in most gardens except for the corn.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 11:12:30 am »
thanks for the advise,  i can get some lama manure,  maybe thats what i should do. instead of using  chemicals.   does it have to be decomposing before I use it or can i just use it if its a little fresh
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 11:27:06 am »
decomposed and depending on what it's mixed with, at least a year.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 11:40:35 am »
thanks
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.