Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any advice for hot temps.  (Read 3487 times)

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
Any advice for hot temps.
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:09:41 pm »
Does anyone have some advice for what to do with hives in full sun and temps in the mid 90's??? 98 for the high on Wednesday. And I am in North Carolina. Feels like 100's. I am keeping water supplied as much as I can. I just put some long boards over top to help shade. Anything else???

Offline pondman

• House Bee
Re: Any advice for hot temps.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 09:39:24 pm »
Hello

I would put some shimes under your cover to prop it open a little bit to get some ventilation. That will help with keeping the hive cool some. This has helped my hive alot, we here in west virginia have been in the high 90 for the last couple of days. Hope this will help you.

James
Pondman

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 10:19:44 pm »
No problems with robbing??? I am mostly worried about the comb sagging and the honey melting.

Offline pondman

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 10:51:37 pm »
Have not had any problems with robbing with the hive that I have done this too. I have 6 hives an all of them have there top prop with shimes. I have not notice an sagging or honey melting in my hives. But I also have my hive in a tree line with some shade. If I notice robbing I will pull the shimes an close the top. Have a great day.

James
Pondman

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 11:51:30 pm »
As you did prop the top open.
Use a screened bottom board.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 11:17:34 am »
I've had bees in full sun when every day for a couple of weeks was in the hundreds F.  For about three days it was 108 F.  They hauled a lot of water and bearded a lot.  They did fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 01:24:10 pm »
This has been my experience also. Here in Placerville we get temps into the 100's for days on end. They just seem to drink a lot more water, but they are fine. I have my hives out in the direct sun except for very late afternoon shade.

Top ventilation is the important thing.

Good Luck
Annette

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 01:53:49 pm »
I have heard of the top entrances on hives. Does someone have a pic? And does this really help keep the hive temp down??

Offline pondman

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 02:59:30 pm »
Hello

Hope this will give you an ideal of what I have done with my hives to try to keep them cooled alittle.

I also have screen bottom board on one of them. The ones that don't have it I feel do just as good but next year all hive will have screen bottom boards.

Have a great day
James
Pondman

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »
>I have heard of the top entrances on hives. Does someone have a pic?

A stick under the lid will work.  Shingle shims under the inner cover work better.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 03:27:21 pm »
Yes, it does help with the temperature issue.

Yes, I do have a picture of one I designed. Most people just place shims under their top covers.

I have since those pictures were taken tweaked the design slightly. I need to update the drawings and take some new pictures. Maybe when I am home long enough to do it.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 07:39:45 pm »
Fantastic!!! Now I see what you guys are talking about. I think that will work for me. Brendhan...nice work.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 12:58:29 pm »
I've had bees in full sun when every day for a couple of weeks was in the hundreds F.  For about three days it was 108 F.  They hauled a lot of water and bearded a lot.  They did fine.

I saw something the other day that I never saw before...there was burr comb on the top bars of the upper most super, all filled with water.  Makes perfect sense in cooling the hives.  Smart bees... :lol:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 02:27:53 pm »
My bees are drinking more water than my dog!!!! :shock: I fill up two bird baths atleast 3 times a day.

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 05:38:14 pm »
Its been so hot I've been wondering and about this water thing too.  I  did two things,

1) I filled an entrance feeder with water only.  I wanted to placed it in the entrance, but there are so many bees at the entrance all the time I just left it on top of the hive.

2) I put a zip lock bag of "water only" on the top frame (two baggies on top frames, one sugar water, one water only..  I don't know that my  bees have enought nectar either so I began feeding again.) 

I hope the bees appreciate it.

Bee1  -- 

Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 06:39:20 pm »
Those are some pretty good ideas Bee1. I am in Greensboro just right down the road. It is nasty hot today and is suppose to be the rest of the week. Have you been to the Life and Science Center and seen the observation hive?? My kids LOVE to go there and see it. Will it ever swarm???

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 11:51:12 pm »
LocustHoney - It has been hot here in NC!   I can hardly take my dog for her afternoon walk.  And no, I haven't been to the Life and Science Center - you're speaking of the one in Durham - right.  I didn't know they have bees!  I will definitely will check it out. 

You probably go right by Jack Tapp &  Busy Bee Apiariess on your way to Durham from greensboro... He is just at the New Hope Ch. Rd. exit off I-40.  If you haven't stopped in you may enjoy it.  Lots of bees, bee supplies and experience...

More Later, Bee1

Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

anything