Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Baby tail feathers on the baby Muscovys  (Read 13061 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Baby tail feathers on the baby Muscovys
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 08:01:28 pm »
One of my hens just turned broody and has 4 eggs under her.  I've been sick with Menier's and can't get up to feed the stock so nobody put anymore eggs under her.  They were afraid of being pecked when reaching under her.  I told them to just pick her by and put the eggs under her, a hen won't peck when picked up and held in 2 hands.  Then she can be tucked against your body while the eggs are placed and then set back on the nest. 
I'm trying to teach my wife (city born and bred), my kids (ditto), and grandkids (ibid) how to be farmers but there are times I dispare.
Feeding the stock scraps has finally caught on, now the problem is teaching them that dogs don't eat stuffed olives, goats don't eat mashed potatoes, Rabbits will eat the carrot tops but not the carrots (regardless of what Bugs Bunny says), and chickens will eat just about anything but whole oyster and clam shells (smashed and ground they'll eat for grit). I'm trying to get them to going to 3 scrap buckets so the proper scraps go the the proper animals.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 02:17:16 am »
Annette, Yup!  Whoppo has his own roasting bag & will steal JP's onions...he's probably licking his ducky beak now!! JP in a bag!!  :evil:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

...JP ;)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 02:04:14 pm »
Brian, I am sorry that you have been sick.  I do not know what Menier's is, so I googled it to find out.  That be a form of vertigo, basically?  Loss of hearing.  Tell me of your symptoms, I am always interested in the malade of people.  I wish you well, and good health for you, friend.  When you get ill with this disease, does it make you sick too?  Do you want to talk a little bit about it?  I would listen.

This is so much fun, how our forum friends tease each other, you are all very special.  And Jody, it is Frantz that has my green snips, although he claims that they are now pink.  I think JP spray painted them and sent them up to Frantz, oh, those two are brats, along with some others that I won't mention.   Those forum brats!!!  Have a wonderful, most delightfully great day, happiness, peace, lovin' life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 01:55:08 am »
Well the broody hen got off the nest to eat, my wife went out an collected eggs so yesterday I found the broody hen setting on air.  I gathered up every egg I could find and put under her and told everybody, especially the wife, which hen was broody and in which nest box.  Today went back and marked and counted the eggs so there's no mistake.  All 11 eggs have a big H on them now.  She seemed much happyier yesterday after I put the eggs under her.  She could probably set on as many as 14-15 but 11 is enough.

Cindi:  Menier's disease has several factors, lack of balance, ear pain, tinnities (varries from slight to 747 engine roar).  I have to move about using visual clues more that the natural balance people have. Sudden changes of view (especially vertical), or angled construction, etc, can make me fall or even upchuck on the spot.  Loss of hearing is also a component.  Currently I'm Half Blind, Half Deaf, and pretty dumb (according to the wife).
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 11:16:53 am »
Brian, oh yes, I know I have done that, collected eggs from under a broody hen, last summer, didn't realize which one was the broody one.  That was when my Sister was doing more of the chickenyard stuff and I was more doing other stuff.  Thank my lucky stars these were eggs that we ate, not sold, (now that was a gross one, let me tell ya.....). Good that you were able to get up and give than hen eggs instead of air that she was sitting one, that would certainly have made her happy.  I have pictures of the Muscovys now, the first clutch (is it called a clutch with ducks, hee, hee).  I will get them on the forum soon, just been so ding dang busy!!!  They are almost full grown and feathered out beautifully and man I love how different all the colours are.  I will post pictures soon.  One is pure white (the only duck), one is pure white with a little black on his head (all the others are drakes, good for the oven for surely).  The others are beautiful colours.

That Menier's disease sounds like a real nasty.  It is chronic with you?  What causes it to develop.  I am not being nosey (or maybe I am, don't want to delve into your personal life, hee, hee), but I need to know.  Some things intrigue me and this is one of them.....tell me more.  Have that beautiful day as yours, love our life that is ours, and love this earth that is ours too.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Sid at Rebecca Creek

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 08:58:25 pm »
The Muscovy eggs began hatching here at Rebecca Creek Ranch. We have six babies at this point with several eggs left. I am not sure all with hatch. We moved mom out of the nesting box several feet in the air to a ground level roost so the babies will not fall and get hurt if they got adventuresome. When we moved them we found that some of the eggs (of the 13) were actually bantam chicken. While I know she can hatch them #1 we don't need more bantams #2 we now don't know when they were laid in the roost.

We took pictures today, but are having trouble getting the pictures from camera to computer, my wife is working on it so maybe tomorrow.

They are really cute. Looks like four are solid yellow (small black spots somewhere) and will probably look like our one white Muscovy, who has a tiny black patch on her head. It reminds my wife of a Jaqueline Kennedy Onassis pillbox hat.

We also had two Rhode Island Red eggs hatch, two got crushed somehow and the chicks were lost.

It has been a busy day. More later.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 12:28:21 am »
That Menier's disease sounds like a real nasty.  It is chronic with you?  What causes it to develop.  I am not being nosey (or maybe I am, don't want to delve into your personal life, hee, hee), but I need to know.  Some things intrigue me and this is one of them.....tell me more.  Have that beautiful day as yours, love our life that is ours, and love this earth that is ours too.  Cindi

The worst part of Menier's is the nausea--you can be really sick for days.  It is chronic and in the acute state quite dehabilitating.  Some health histories that have a high degree of producing Menier's later in life are:
1. Tinnitis
2. Ear aches (inner ear infections)
3. Mumps
4. Head injuries
5. Sinusitis

I've had all 5.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 10:22:06 am »
Brian, thank you for sharing this information, it must be a real bummer, nausea can be very debilitating in itself.  I wish you well with your health, keep the chin up, have the most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi