Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how many?  (Read 9090 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: how many?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 08:57:28 am »
yellow jackets hurt.  i have a family history of being highly allergic to them and it feels like someone is hitting me with a hammer every time my heart beats when i get one.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 09:05:37 am »
Five on one day is my max. Hats off to you guys. Based on what you all are saying I'd better toughen up. I want to reach a point that I go thru 100 hives a day. I don't mind stings to most places other than my fingers and my head (ears, nose, around eyes). The ones on my fingers makes it harder to continue due to swelling. I've considered purposely getting two or three stings each day to help reduce my reactions.

ray, i've taken two below the eye this year and a few on the top of my head.  i don't even notice stings to my fingers that's probably where i get the least reaction.  it's the soft places that hurt. 
i also believe that bee stings are good for arthritis so i usually try to get stung a few times every couple of days.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 05:48:15 pm »
My first sting was in the face beefore the first hour was up on my first beekeeping lesson  :-D

Came back for more  :ninja:

mvh edward  :-P

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 05:53:41 pm »
well, overall the numbers are higher than i expected.  i'd say over 100 is more common than i expected it to be.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 06:51:07 pm »
If you keep bees you will get stung...no way around it. If you keep bees commercially you will get stung often...it's just part of the job.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 09:04:44 am »
If you keep bees you will get stung...no way around it. If you keep bees commercially you will get stung often...it's just part of the job.

Scott

Thanks Scott, I just hope with time my reactions lessen. I don't mind the pain. It just makes it harder to work the bees when the hands swell.
Later,
Ray

Offline oblib

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 09:51:07 am »
About 60 is the most I have been stung at one time. Only thing that is bad for me was it was all on the hands and they swelled enough that if I wasn't thinking and went to scratch then it would just rip open because the skin was so tight.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 01:23:48 pm »
About 60 is the most I have been stung at one time. Only thing that is bad for me was it was all on the hands and they swelled enough that if I wasn't thinking and went to scratch then it would just rip open because the skin was so tight.

wow!  apparently i'm physiologically set up to take the venom.  my hands almost never swell no matter how many stings they take.
even the one on my lower eyelid didn't have much swelling and it took me a while to get to a mirror to remove the stinger.

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 07:11:35 pm »

wow!  apparently i'm physiologically set up to take the venom.  my hands almost never swell no matter how many stings they take.
even the one on my lower eyelid didn't have much swelling and it took me a while to get to a mirror to remove the stinger.

Lower eye lid! Dude! You must be part Grizzly!! :shock:

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 02:04:57 am »
i've been hit there twice already this year.  taking one in the eye is the only thing that scares me (maybe taking one to the nads is a close second) and it felt like somebody had punched me about 4  or 5 hours later but i didn't swell much and it was down by the next morning.  i've been hit in the lip and that's not a fun place either.  it's like scott said, you will get stung and the more you handle bees the more you get stung and that just leads to more places to be stung.  it's funny that i was bragging about no reaction when i get stung in the fingers today.  i mashed one this evening that got me right on the pad of a finger and it's not swollen but it's tender as all get out when i type with it.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 09:48:42 pm »
I'd just pop!

Offline Redbug

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 11:32:29 am »
I mess with coons and other critters. I suggest keeping a catch pole in your truck. The 5 footer is about the best length.

I think they make little bitty ones for catching bumble bees...
Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 03:16:10 pm »
 I got nailed under the eye last year about a week after I got my bees. I wasn't even working the hives. I was standing about 25 feet in front and to the side. Suddenly I heard an angry buzzing and felt a slight burning sensation. The stinger stayed in for about 5 minutes, till I got back to the house and to a mirror so I could see what I was scrapping out.

Offline Willy

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 03:58:33 am »
Most stings I've had was 20 in about 5 seconds.

All 20 stings were thru thick woollen socks (which is obviously why they were attacking). 20 got thru the socks out of about 100 hits.

No more woollen socks while beekeeping.

Willy

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2014, 12:04:12 am »
6 IS MY LIMET THEN I GET THE JACKET AND GLOVES

sorry caps was on
 the two i got now hit every time
jay
 down yonder not down under

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2014, 07:24:58 am »
I got nailed under the eye last year about a week after I got my bees. I wasn't even working the hives. I was standing about 25 feet in front and to the side. Suddenly I heard an angry buzzing and felt a slight burning sensation. The stinger stayed in for about 5 minutes, till I got back to the house and to a mirror so I could see what I was scrapping out.
Tiger,
Were you in the hives before this happened? Like the week before.  When you are in your hives, be as gentle as possible. If you were heavy leather gloves you will probably kill or hurt a lot of bees. The blue rubber gloves allow you to feel the bees under your fingers but the bees have a hard time stinging through them. The bees around the bees that get hurt remember you and continue to defend the hive. I have had hives that were nice as can be but the second a bee got crushed, someone got stung. Usually it was my buddy. He was wearing a suit and I was not.
Jim
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2014, 12:17:26 pm »
around 10 from honeybees. there have been days when I p.o. a hive s few would stalk me the rest of the day, sometimes 2 days. like tiger I had one nail on the eye lid. the most stings came from yellow jackets. I mowed over a ground nest. turned off the mower & ran. may have set an unofficial 100 yd dash record that day ( I was 17 ) we quit counting at 250.

Offline Patricia H

• New Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2014, 01:08:07 pm »
Wow, as a new beekeeper this is something I didn't want to read. I have a suit, gloves and veil. For sure now I will never work bees without them. I watch beekeepers in videos handling bees in shorts, no gloves, no veil. I can't imagine being stung so many times at once especially in the face near the eyes. As a kid I can remember stepping barefoot into yellow jacket nests in the ground at least 2x a summer and screaming while running all the way home. That was hell as a kid. But even as a grown up kid now getting stung like that, Eeeek!!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2014, 04:47:09 pm »
Wow, as a new beekeeper this is something I didn't want to read. I have a suit, gloves and veil. For sure now I will never work bees without them. I watch beekeepers in videos handling bees in shorts, no gloves, no veil. I can't imagine being stung so many times at once especially in the face near the eyes. As a kid I can remember stepping barefoot into yellow jacket nests in the ground at least 2x a summer and screaming while running all the way home. That was hell as a kid. But even as a grown up kid now getting stung like that, Eeeek!!

There is one video, on the internet, that the beekeeper works the hive totally naked. He is standing behind the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2014, 05:13:03 pm »
Beekeeping for me is a hobby. If I were taking stings at those rates I wouldn't stay a beekeeper. Say what you will, but that is how I roll. :mrgreen:
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

anything