Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving Advice  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Wesley

• New Bee
Moving Advice
« on: July 30, 2011, 03:14:17 pm »
Ok guys I plan to move six hives about two hundred miles to my new home in south MS. That may seem easy to most of you but I have never attempted this before. I plan on using the straps with the ratchet and also tacking together with hive staples. I have the premade screens to put in the entrance and plan on securing them with a smaller staple. I use screened bottom boards for what its worth. I will be halling them in the back of my full sized truck. Do I need to put them in the back of the bed or towards the front? I also have two honey supers on top of each hive that already have two deep brood chambers. I have already had a huge honey harvest but I fear they are full again because of the continual rain. I havent seen them in about a month.  Should I hall them with the honey supers on them? Any advice you guys would share would be much appreciated. I have been keeping bees about 8 years but have never attempted a move this far.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 04:25:58 pm by Wesley »

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Moving Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:19:08 pm »
Sounds like you have a pretty good plan there.   Ratchet straps are good.   Me, I do not staple them anymore when using the straps.  I would pull the honey supers.   Much too heavy with 2 deeps alone, but doable.   It don't matter where in the truck you put them.   Just close them up at dark to get most of the bees in.   

Offline Wesley

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 01:26:24 am »
Thanks for responding! Planning on taking the supers off!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 06:13:18 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin