Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees and Diabetes  (Read 10068 times)

Offline Gerald in Ga

• House Bee
Bees and Diabetes
« on: April 24, 2008, 07:47:59 pm »
Howdy All,
     Someone told me that a person with diabetes would get stung more around bees because of their breath and general smell from their medication. Does anyone know of this or anything that would make diabetics more prone to getting stung?
     Or, is this urban legend?
     Thanks.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Re: Bees and Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:10:08 pm »
I don't notice the bees behaving any differently now than they did 40 years ago before I was diagnosed as diabetic.  They don't seem to like coffee breath, and sunglasses seem to get them fired up.  Beyond that, just seems like conditions... and nectar flows are the biggest influence.  But I'm sure someone will correct me.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 09:00:40 pm »
Diabetics (be they type I or type II) can have issues with body odors increasing secondary to their blood sugar variations.  Namely, high blood sugars produce ketone bodies which are secreted through the breath, urine and sweat glands. One of the signs of low blood sugar is becoming sweaty and pale.  This, in turn, also can increase body odors.  Insuling itself has a strong smell, but this is only an issue for a patient wearing a pump, and I am not certain that bees would care about the smell of insulin. I have read that bees do not like us when we smell bad - irrespective of whether we are diabetic or not. Showering will alleviate many odors, but dietary changes which maintain blood sugar balance will also decrease odors associated with diabtetes.  That means, eat fewer refined carbohydrates which cause sugar spikes and avoid greasy meats and saturated fats.  Fruits, vegetables and lean meats and fishes serving as a primary foundation of the diet will reduce many offensive odors as well.

My son is a type one diabetic on insulin pump therapy, and we have no issues going to the hives. We both, however, watch how much honey we eat. Honey to a diabetic is like rocket fuel to a campfire. Enjoy it, but sparingly and with appropriate insulin dosage.
Brian

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 12:21:13 am »
I'll never find it again if I tried, but I read somewhere that honey isn't as...I don't know the word I'm looking for...potent?...for diabetics.  I breezed through the article so I could have missed information.  What do you know of that Pond Creek?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 12:33:16 am »
The term is "glycemic", and unfortunately, honey is quite so. There is some argument that honey, as a natural food, is lower in carbohydrate or insulin response.  I wish this was so.  Unfortunately. honey is almost purely carbohydrate.  That is why it is so sweet and such an effective sweetneer in cooking. Gluscose is glucose, and honey ultimately becomes such after processing by the liver.  It will raise blood sugar quite quickly in anyone and will require a hefty dose of insulin to address.  This is not to say that honey is bad or not healthy.  It merely is a sugar to be managed as any other for a diabetic.  Many foods are sugars, but few taste as good as honey from our hives.
Brian

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 01:18:46 am »
They say that Tupelo honey can be enjoyed in moderation by diabetics. This is what I have read and heard. Something about how it affects the blood sugar less than other honeys. I'm too tired to do a search now, maybe tomorrow.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 10:27:32 pm »
All honey can be enjoyed in moderation.  While I suppose that it is possible that one variety affects blood sugar more slowly, I suspect that the difference would be negligable. The real issue arises in deciding what is in moderation and what is excessive.  That will vary from person to person and most definately varies between type I and type II diabetics. In either case, honey, like all sugars, will increase blood sugar.  That does not mean that honey is to be avoided, just know what it does and adjust your itake accordingly.
Brian

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 10:44:01 pm »
Well I'm a type two  diabetic, on insulin, the bees don't seem to care one way or the other. I take insulin injections and they don't seem to care about that either. I have always been a sweet toothed person, even with diabetes running in the family. Moderation for me is a couple heaping tablespoons of honey. LOL It doesn't seem to react as badly as white sugar does. So from my point of view its Urban legend. But maybe some people exude a smell that the bees might not like. Not really sure ?? But that would seem more logical to me. Then again do bees really smell?
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 11:53:34 pm »
Well I'm a type two  diabetic, on insulin, the bees don't seem to care one way or the other. I take insulin injections and they don't seem to care about that either. I have always been a sweet toothed person, even with diabetes running in the family. Moderation for me is a couple heaping tablespoons of honey. LOL It doesn't seem to react as badly as white sugar does. So from my point of view its Urban legend. But maybe some people exude a smell that the bees might not like. Not really sure ?? But that would seem more logical to me. Then again do bees really smell?

Do bees really smell??? Boy, you bet they do. They are about scent and memory. Their sense of smell is uncanny, their memory is astounding!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 12:29:17 am »
New police officers often mistake and arrest diabetics as DUI due to the odor.  A diabetic will often have an "Alcohol" smell to them that can fool the unwary.  They usually realize their mistake when the breathalyzer gives a zero reading while the subject still smells of "Alcohol."
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline thomast55

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 01:47:22 am »
Talking about bees smelling . When I picked up my packages three weeks ago it smelled like Murpy's Oil Soap in the truck . By the way they're doing fine .

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 12:48:08 am »
>New police officers often mistake and arrest diabetics as DUI due to the odor.  A diabetic will often have an "Alcohol" smell to them that can fool the unwary.  They usually realize their mistake when the breathalyzer gives a zero reading while the subject still smells of "Alcohol."<

That's how a family member of mine found out he was diabetic.  He knew something was wrong and pulled over and the lights came on behind him immediately.  He told the officer something was wrong (they knew each other) and was not sure what.  He was cuffed and was not allowed to see a doctor until he passed out.  I know nothing of the numbers, but the medicos told him he should have been dead and on a slab.  Anyway he does a shot a day and he is good to go.  He has been watching his diet and exercise.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 11:51:18 am »
Gee glad he knew him, got him first rate help! Just imagine if they didn't know each other. What about to protect and serve? :?
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 02:35:51 pm »
He does a shot a day of what? :roll:
I might be good to go with a shot a day as well :-D

anything