Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I thought John had the nicest looking hives until I saw this  (Read 11353 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
I thought John had the nicest looking hives until I saw this
« on: April 07, 2004, 07:52:50 pm »
Check out this Estate Hive.
How appropriately named :D
How many do you think are in stock?

Robo..... (a very special beekeeper)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
I want one!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 12:18:38 am »
Wow! Really beautiful. Hey....my birthday is coming up next month ..... and I'd love this.

Ya all could pitch in.... get me a couple..... (sigh)

Dream on, right?  :)

Beth

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
now I'm gonna have to do some wood working
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 12:24:51 am »
That is a nice hive setup - I was thinking of getting more decorative and I have an idea to model one hive after my house - same paint and shutter look - I might just do that if I can ever get away from the keyboard  - lol

Great pic of the hive and Robo, it was strange seeing a photo of me in shorts that "I" didn't post lol  - Me and short and BOXERS are a thing of the past, but the shorts is still standard hive dress for me!

John
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
Boxers?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 12:27:10 am »
Oh no...not a good idea John. What was the "master" thinking?  :shock:

LOL  :)

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 05:33:50 pm »
How much would each pound of honey cost from that hive? It sure is pretty.
Judy

beeware184

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 10:47:25 am »
I wonder if I could get one with log cabin siding.......to match my house, of course! :lol:

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 07:31:55 pm »
Send me the hive and I'll install the log siding for $80.00 a board inch. of course I'll use red cedar to scale so it will last for years  :lol:  :lol: .
Go for it John I would like to see what you end with.
Guess I'll just keep my hohumm hives. Now say that 10 times reaql fast.
 :D Al

Offline wuffman

• Brood
Pitched Roof Idea / Dream Bee Hives
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 02:06:33 am »
I had an idea from the roof (probably not original in consept) if you obmit the inner cover durring the summer months and created some kind of a small breezeway on the eves ( kind of what they do in some parts of the world on people houses) when the humidity rises to the top of the peek it would run down the inside and into the drainage and out of the hive.

Another suggestion for this fancy bee mansion would be air conditioning. or just put fans in the front and back to move air through. one side feeds fresh air in and the other side sucks air out.  Maybe a small Solar panel could run it all... I have seen those spend bee hive lids that run 80.00 that have a smal solar cell on them....

What about a outside light to guide those tardy bees that come stagering in at wee hours in the morning drunk on farmer Brown's Mead?

Just my thoughts.    :D

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 05:38:21 pm »
I'll have to think about getting electricity to the hives with fans and welcome home light now needed.  That, and sewing up some little foot mats for wiping feet will keep me busy for a while.  :lol:
Judy

Offline Durwood

• Brood
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 01:09:37 pm »
Is it for real or just ornamental. I'd bee worried the lady's might get too comfortable to work.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 01:49:27 pm »
I would surely be more worried about the hive then the bees when dysentery set in :shock:

Rob....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
Talk about threading
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 01:59:58 pm »
QUICK NOTE: members having trouble logging in or staying logged in - there is an announcement in the TECHNICAL SUPPORT FROM BEEMASTER FORUM concerning this...

Now... for my tread - lol. Talking about interesting things in a hive, I'm going to be adding (occasionally) a night-vision color mini-cam I have into my hives this Season. I'll set it up to refresh images on my site somewhere - give you a link later.

But I'll be interested how they react to the infarred lighting and shear fact this cam (the size of a baby's fist) is in their hive. It's focus is rasor sharp literally to the lens - I could focus on an egg with sharp detail, but I'll keep it focused to about 1/2 inch range to allow bees walking by to look focused.

I'll be doing OUT OF HIVE experiments - I want to follow a queen cell being drawn out with the cam so everyone (30 second refresh stills) can watch a queen cell being made. They assemble the images and make a short movie of it, which will look really cool in time lapse.

Just some thoughts, in a pretty active topic!

John

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
Talk about threading
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 02:07:39 pm »
QUICK NOTE: members having trouble logging in or staying logged in - there is an announcement in the TECHNICAL SUPPORT FROM BEEMASTER FORUM concerning this...

Now... for my thread - lol. Talking about interesting things in a hive, I'm going to be adding (occasionally) a night-vision color mini-cam I have into my hives this Season. I'll set it up to refresh images on my site somewhere - give you a link later.

But I'll be interested how they react to the infarred lighting and shear fact this cam (the size of a baby's fist) is in their hive. It's focus is razor sharp literally to the lens - I could focus on a bee egg with sharp detail, but I'll keep it focused to about 1/2 inch range to allow bees walking by to look focused.

I'll be doing OUT OF HIVE experiments - I want to follow a queen cell being drawn out with the cam so everyone (30 second refreshing still images) can catch a queen cell being made. Then assemble the images and make a short movie of it, which will look really cool in time lapse.

Just some thoughts, in a pretty active topic!

-------------------

Durwood is new to the forum and glad to see him/her active in here - the profile says STUDENT and I want you to know that Students are a very important subject (no pun intended) to me - they are the next generation of Beekeepers and a valued asset to this forum.

I have been a mentor (read about young Fred in my original logbook section - who is now 18) I have mentored him for many years. Adults can make or break the spirit of the young, and I have seen first hand how people can harm their children - treat the young with love and respect and they will become good adults you also treat the young with love and respect. There I go threading again.

John

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2004, 02:29:53 pm »
Honestly would any of you pay like 1600 bucks for a hive? :shock:  I'd say a few hundred is my limit.
Bee Boy

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2004, 03:30:29 pm »
No WAY!! You could practically buy the TOOLS to make the hive yourself at that price. :)

As a matter a fact, I think I did pay less than that for my table saw, chop saw, and a bunch of other stuff I bought a couple years ago. I've got pretty much a whole workshop minus the lathe. And in the end probably paid less than $1400.

Beth

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2004, 04:05:10 pm »
For the do-it-yourselfers:
  The price of mahogony right now, is cheaper than plywood, and cheaper than cedar in some areas.  I dont know about the fancy emblem, but mahogony is sure nice wood!! (ok, now gotta say, I dont support cutting jungle wood either) :?  :lol:

Offline Blackbird

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2004, 01:42:39 am »
I didn't see where they were selling any pricey supers. So what, you have that beautiful hive and then add the usual supers from Dadant or where ever? That would look real nice huh?
OR you don't add a super and your bees get crowded and swarm? Even better.
I think Marhta Stewart built this hive. She grew the trees her self too!  :lol:

Stacie

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2004, 09:59:39 am »
The only thing on that page that I could afford are the beeswax blocks
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
That is very nice, I like the silver plates on it. bye
Ryan Horn