Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Okla regulations  (Read 2340 times)

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
Okla regulations
« on: September 07, 2012, 01:41:21 pm »
My sister wants to know if Okla. has any bad regulations on beekeeping. She is interested in beekeeping. Harold

Offline sixacrebees

• New Bee
Re: Okla regulations
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 08:23:41 pm »
Not that I have heard of.  I live in Logan county which is north of Oklahoma City and visited with the State Bee Inspector at last months meeting about registration.  It is recommended but not required.  I believe he said it is $10 per apiary and inspections only happen if you request them.

You can google search for Oklahoma Beekeepers Association and find the links to some of the groups in Oklahoma.

Hope this helps

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 09:48:32 pm »
My sister wants to know if Okla. has any bad regulations on beekeeping. She is interested in beekeeping. Harold

I see  Okla. is off the "No Buzz Zones" now

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/blogs/bees/illegal-urban-beekeeping-0602

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline yelnifok

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 05:49:10 am »
not bad regs. for a hobby beek (up to 50 hives). Mainly hive location vs. neighbors -t to keep the peace.

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:05:43 am »
Thanks yelnifok / My sis lives near OKC but we grew up in Buffalo Ok.  She wants to get some hives and get started this year. Thanks for the info. Harold

Offline yelnifok

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 12:19:22 pm »
It is late in the season to start a colony or 3.   She would be better off trying to buy established colonies from a local beeker.lee...

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 03:30:18 pm »
I meant next year.

Offline yelnifok

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 05:19:34 pm »
That is better- giving her time to locate a beek who sells nucs- really is the best way to start, as a number of them raise queens which carry desirable genetic traits (a whole nother subject). If she has not kept bees before it would also give her some time to acquire some 'beeking-101'. I believe they have local classes near okc if not the tulsa area does offer a 5 wk/1day/wk classes. something to check with neoba. I hope she catches the 'bug' , as it is infectious/ they are fascinating  creature. We have both a state;Oklahoma state beekeepers assoc. as well as a local ; Northeast oklahoma beekeepers assoc.(neoba.org). One of our members is the state vp. I will ask him tommorow nite at the mo. mting who she might be able to contact near okc. He will know. If you go to the neoba site I'm sure you would also get an answer. Putting in an order this time of year for spring nucs puts you on early del. dates for nucs.(as a rule).
   lee...

Offline yelnifok

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 12:31:38 am »
beehappy1950, have your sister go to -okbees.org- and look up COBA, she should find everything she needs.lee...