Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: help with mason bees!  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Whippersnapper

• New Bee
help with mason bees!
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:55:59 pm »
Their main use will be for pollination of crops (squash, melons, etc.)  I will NOT be using a typical bee hive/using beekeeping.  Plan to order them; was told on all the sites, that they start out dormant as eggs, and then become bees when warmer weather comes.  Is this true?  Know nothing about bees.

Was also told that unlike honey bees, they don't need a queen; is this true?  Where in hive should the mason bees be placed?  Does it matter if they're male or female?

I'm also wondering when I should order them.  The main season here doesn't start till May 28th, so would ordering now be too soon?

I'd be getting a bee box for them, which would essentially be their nest; would this work? I  can't post a link as to what it looks like, as it won't let me cause I'm a new user.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: help with mason bees!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:57:46 pm »
you need to do more research on mason bees.  they are solitary bees and do not go in a box.  also, they need to be ordered in winter for spring delivery every place i know. i think you are to late for this year unless you can find a private seller.

they are not hard to keep, but spend some time learning about them before you invest.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Colorado Bee Man

• New Bee
    • Colorado Beekeepers
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:29:12 pm »
you need to do more research on mason bees.  they are solitary bees and do not go in a box.  also, they need to be ordered in winter for spring delivery every place i know. i think you are to late for this year unless you can find a private seller.

they are not hard to keep, but spend some time learning about them before you invest.

I agree with this post. Do some more research.
Let's save the bees!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:37:44 am »
Whipper,
Here is a short page on mason bees. It shows some tubes, nesting box, and cocoons.
http://www.bjornapiaries.com/masonbees.html

We ship in winter, the bees hatch in time for the apple blossoms, and last 4-8 weeks. Right now, the masons are about finshed for the season.

Regardless of who you order from, buy the tubes with paper inserts. Do not buy wooden blocks with holes drilled in them. You need a system which will allow you to clean cocoons if you choose to do so.

Good luck
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

anything