Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Price of honey (lb) in your area  (Read 19750 times)

Offline Jkiefer16

• Brood
Price of honey (lb) in your area
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:36:03 pm »
Just seeing the price of honey per lb in each state.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Price of honey (lb) in your area
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 01:01:58 pm »
Since I was off to a late start and this is my first year beekeeping I'm still buying honey. The last I bought was $8 for a pint (pound). If I had offered it I believe they would have probably taken more  :-P
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Moots

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 01:33:19 pm »
The last I bought was $8 for a pint (pound). :-P

GSF,
Was it a pint, or a pound?  This always gets confused with Honey, which is sold be weight, and not volume.  A pound of honey (16 oz.) typically is 12 fluid ounces, not a pint (16 fluid ounces)

I sold mine this year for $7 for a pound container, and $18 for a three pound container...Both in skep style plastic bottles with flip tops.

I think I was more expensive than most in my area. However, no one complained and I'm very close to being sold out of everything I had.  :-D

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 01:45:00 pm »
<Was it a pint, or a pound?>

Hey Moots, I thought they were the same. So my uneducated guess would be a pint (with comb).
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 03:00:55 pm »
Is it the price in bulk beetween beekeepers or the price to the final customer?

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 03:54:36 pm »
I sell a pint as a pound and a half. 

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 07:52:02 pm »
I sell mine in the one pound honey bottle for $8.00/lb. No complaints at all. I also have the occasional customer that insists on paying $10.

~Angie
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 08:37:02 pm by sweet bee »
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 08:35:57 pm »
I sell mine for $6.00 per pound and I am thinking about going up to $7.00.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 08:52:27 pm »
most of the local honey i saw between georgia and alabama went for $14.00 a quart or more.  i would think one pound jars should bring $8.00 retail around here.  in 1980 it seems like i sold a quart for $4.00 and in 2000 i was getting $7.00.  inflation is an amazing thing.

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 09:07:33 pm »
  I have seen honey sell for as much as $20.00 a pound for untreated honey in Boston, Massachusetts. I sell my honey out the back door for $12.00 a pound and have no trouble getting rid of all of it by February most times.

Moots......  

You may not realize is but under Federal law in USA the honey label is supposed to have the weight in pounds and/or oz. and grams nothing to do with volume.  And there are several more requirements by Federal law in USA.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 09:18:27 pm »
jim, that's amazing.  there are still a lot of small to "light commercial" beekeepers down this way so i don't think the market will bear that kind of price (yet).

Moots

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 11:22:10 pm »

Moots......  

You may not realize is but under Federal law in USA the honey label is supposed to have the weight in pounds and/or oz. and grams nothing to do with volume.  And there are several more requirements by Federal law in USA.

:? :? :?

Jim,
I do realize it!  That's the very point I was making...Honey is sold by weight, NOT Volume.  I was merely referencing volume for comparison sake to illustrate the differences and help point out how the issue sometimes gets confused.

Apparently, I didn't do a very good job.  :laugh:

Offline JanO

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 12:38:14 am »
Last Sept. I paid $12 for a pint, and quart would have cost me $20.  I'm in SW WA State.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 06:52:59 am »
Around here, I see local honey selling for between $8 and $8.50 per pound to the costumer. IT really isn't surprising to see that our northern friends can get more for their honey. The cost of living tends to be quite a bit higher up there. Things cost more.

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 08:51:23 am »

:? :? :?

Jim,
I do realize it!  That's the very point I was making...Honey is sold by weight, NOT Volume.  I was merely referencing volume for comparison sake to illustrate the differences and help point out how the issue sometimes gets confused.

Apparently, I didn't do a very good job.  :laugh:

IMHO
It's apparent to me some people do not want to be educated and I also see the next post missed also. :lol:

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 11:38:14 PM »

Last Sept. I paid $12 for a pint, and quart would have cost me $20.  I'm in SW WA State.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 10:24:13 am »
Could we maybe sort out the apples and oranges?

Honey is SOLD by Weight, yet I suspect most retail consumers buy by volume. They see a jar this big and it costs this much.

As a home canner, I delight in buying products in REAL canning jars. Thus should I ever get to that point in time to actually sell honey, I would likely use canning jars. Which come in pints, quarts and half pints. (Plus a few other odd and not easily found sizes).

So a Pint jar filled to the threads would contain....How much honey weight wise? Ditto with quarts and the half pints. I wouldn't think that honey would vary that much in weight in those small volumes. Or are we measuring with a micrometer and cutting with an ax?

Offline labradorfarms

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 12:13:23 pm »
Good question. Im a new guy buy plan on selling by the pint and quart.....
The jars I see in my stores appear to be pints going for 7.99 plus tax with comb 6.00 without, but you figure the store is only paying about 4 to 5 buck a quart. Probaly less without the comb.

Moots

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 02:39:43 pm »
Ok,
I'll try to lend some prospective...

My one pound containers that hold 16 ounces of honey by weight, are 12 ounces by volume, or 3/4 of a pint if you prefer.

My three pound containers that hold 48 ounces of honey by weight, are 32 ounces by volume, or 1 quart.

While I don't sell a 1 1/2 pound container, 24 ounces by weight, my understanding is that fits in a pint container (16 ounces by volume). Which fits with what Vance does and the details given where I buy my containers. LINK to sailor plastics!

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 06:54:10 pm »
Lets try to do it this way.
One gallon of honey weighs 12#
four quarts = one gallon
one guart weighs 3#
two pints = one quart
one pint weighs 1 1/2 #

I sell a quart for $16
A pint for $8
A one pound plastic bottle for $6
And I have sold 1,200# since July and I'm about out. So I have increased hives and going to raise prices next year. :) If all goes well.

Moots

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 07:13:20 pm »
Lets try to do it this way.
One gallon of honey weighs 12#
four quarts = one gallon
one guart weighs 3#
two pints = one quart
one pint weighs 1 1/2 #

I sell a quart for $16
A pint for $8
A one pound plastic bottle for $6
And I have sold 1,200# since July and I'm about out. So I have increased hives and going to raise prices next year. :) If all goes well.

Sterling,
That's exactly what I was trying to say...Thanks for saying it a lot more straight forward.  :laugh:

As I said, I sell my pounds for $7, and my quarts for $18, I'm toying with the idea of adding pints next year, if so, I'll probably sell them for $10.