Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why do they glue everything?  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Why do they glue everything?
« on: December 06, 2010, 06:00:28 pm »
Why do the bees glue the frames in?  Are they trying to say leave us alone and stop fiddling with the frames.  I don't see how the frames would move even if they didn't glue them in.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 06:18:11 pm by Acebird »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Why do they glue everything?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 07:09:54 pm »
it is how they close the hive to predators, cold, etc.  it is why you don't want to be popping your hive open in winter and breaking that seal.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:20:26 pm »
The same reason you caulk your windows.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:29:27 pm »
It's not that they are gluing in the frames, but they are filling the cracks between and around them.  Just so happens that also glues them in place.
Jim

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 11:18:59 am »
The same reason you caulk your windows.

I can understand caulking the windows I can't understand caulking the furniture.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 03:26:29 pm »
 Contract with Elmer's ? :-D

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 03:32:30 pm »
Have you ever seen how stinkin' many bees are in that hive?  No way there's that much work, so they tell the teenage bees to go glue something.
Rick

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 03:41:16 pm »
Have you ever seen how stinkin' many bees are in that hive?  No way there's that much work, so they tell the teenage bees to go glue something.

I guess they are not like my mother because if we hung around she would tell us to go out and do something USEFUL.  And she had a list! :-D
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 04:07:45 pm »
Yes, they glue stuff together. And they fill cracks and places that have no use.

But propolis is also antibacterial and probably has more health benefits than we realize. Maybe it's to deter mold growth. Maybe to keep microscopic bad things at bay. Maybe they chew on bits of it when feeling bad.  ;) Could you imagine if bees only stuck it around in odd places so it would not interfer with wax comb, but yet had it readily available to eat, feed, and help with overall hive health.

Anyways, there is some interesting research being done on propolis. Seems that breeding bees for little propolis production for the past 50-100 years may be a bad thing for bees. It is there for a reason. And there could be many reasons.

If you take a unfinished piece of wood and make hive bodies with it, the bees will propolize the insides smooth with propolis. They do not like the rough cut lumber. And while we offer bees smooth woodenware most of the time, imagine the interior cavity of that rotten oak tree. I think they remove all they can of the spongy dead wood, and then propolize over the rest. I have seen the walls of feral colonies that have a very slick and shiny coating from propolis. We think that this raw wood in tree cavities would be good absorption for moisture, but bees may be doing the opposite in attempts to benefit from other unknown forces.

I do not look at propolis as a negative. I see it as a sign of hive health, and hope my bees are benefitting from their collection of the stuff.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 04:34:50 pm »
hmm, I never did ask myself or anyone else why, it's just what they do.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 05:50:18 pm »
Yes, they glue stuff together. And they fill cracks and places that have no use.

But propolis is also antibacterial and probably has more health benefits than we realize. Maybe it's to deter mold growth. Maybe to keep microscopic bad things at bay. Maybe they chew on bits of it when feeling bad.  ;) Could you imagine if bees only stuck it around in odd places so it would not interfer with wax comb, but yet had it readily available to eat, feed, and help with overall hive health.

Anyways, there is some interesting research being done on propolis. Seems that breeding bees for little propolis production for the past 50-100 years may be a bad thing for bees. It is there for a reason. And there could be many reasons.

If you take a unfinished piece of wood and make hive bodies with it, the bees will propolize the insides smooth with propolis. They do not like the rough cut lumber. And while we offer bees smooth woodenware most of the time, imagine the interior cavity of that rotten oak tree. I think they remove all they can of the spongy dead wood, and then propolize over the rest. I have seen the walls of feral colonies that have a very slick and shiny coating from propolis. We think that this raw wood in tree cavities would be good absorption for moisture, but bees may be doing the opposite in attempts to benefit from other unknown forces.

I do not look at propolis as a negative. I see it as a sign of hive health, and hope my bees are benefitting from their collection of the stuff.

X2, I think it just what bees do and bees have a reason for what they do even if we have yet to understand why. It is when we try to coerce them into doing what is counter to what they want to do that we have problems. I figure work with them not against them.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 08:22:02 pm »

I like this answer.  It makes a lot of sense.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 08:38:30 pm »
..................imagine the interior cavity of that rotten oak tree. I think they remove all they can of the spongy dead wood, and then propolize over the rest. I have seen the walls of feral colonies that have a very slick and shiny coating from propolis. We think that this raw wood in tree cavities would be good absorption for moisture, but bees may be doing the opposite in attempts to benefit from other unknown forces.

A thought just occured to me. Could it be that the propolizing of the interior of a natural tree cavity somehow stabilizes the size of the cavity by retarding further rot and decay. At the very least by locking down all the loose matter with a "coat of plaster" if you will. To further extrapolate by stabilizing the cavity and preventing further rot is it not good for the tree itself (assuming it is still living) making bees symbiotic to trees (win/win for both). Maybe this is where the anti bacterial properties of propolis developed. Just a thought that came to me.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:05:56 pm »
Keep moisture out if the hive.

anything