Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finally out of the woods!  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Finally out of the woods!
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:50:25 pm »
I can comfortably say that I think my bees are finally safe.  The snow is finally gone for good and we have had a few consecutive nice days.  Our maples are even looking like they will bloom any minute.  I don't see any pollen coming in as of yet, but they do have some pollen patties.  They aren't eating those very fast either.  They have sugar syrup on but don't seem altogether very interested in that either.  They are taking some but not as much as I figured they would.  Both clusters are smaller than I'd like but I saw a great orientation flight last week.  So that's encouraging.  I haven't pulled frames from my hives but maybe I am a week or two from a massive population boom.  Time will tell.  I am pretty excited because the winter before last was bad and I lost all of my hives.  This last winter was even worse and I have two that made it through.  So hopefully by the time that the dandelions bloom in mid may my hives will be good and ready!
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Finally out of the woods!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:23:32 pm »
i've split a couple of hives that were only covering 5 or 6 frames in february.  once they decide to build up they can really get going.
congratulations. 

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Finally out of the woods!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:44:15 pm »
I believe you are right bush84.  Just don't let them run out of groceries!  I am a very tired old man!  I went out and unwrapped and cleaned bottom boards and boxes on mine today and checked brood and stores.  I took some feed frames with me and moved some more around to make sure all the bees are good for a couple weeks and in a couple weeks the fruit bloom will probably start.  The winter was hard on them but I saw littly fuzzy small cell bees in all hives and when I scraped bottom boards I did not see a lot of mites at all. 

What I did see was what I saw last fall and that is what I take to be an overexpression of VSH traits.  Populace colonies that have brood in both boxes have brood at all stages of development.  Bees emerging right next to wet brood and eggs.  Had this in several colonies led by VSH queens.  A couple of them are doing so well with there ways that I may not requeen them but some appear to not be building up fast because of it and have two weeks to live as I have queens coming.  Pollen of several colors coming in and pollen patties being gorged on.   It hit seventy or close to it today.  About time.