Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Maybe eating pollen is good for you.  (Read 6689 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Maybe eating pollen is good for you.
« on: November 20, 2007, 11:26:24 am »
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Maybe eating pollen is good for you.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 11:37:26 am »
Brendhan.  That was kind of a wierd statement, about pollen tasting nasty  :shock: :? :roll:  Now my curiosity has arisen.  Does the pollen that comes from your area taste nasty?  The pollen that I have tasted that I have collected from my particular area has kind of a sweet, flowery taste, which I could only describe as nice.  Tell us about your pollen.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day (I am envious of the warm, sunshiney day that I know you are having, hee, hee  ;) :) :) :).  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 02:41:08 pm »
To bad it tastes so nasty.

I concur with that statement as well.  It is sweet with a fruity taste, but has a strong unpleasantness about it.  I've bought it and also tried my own.

In fact, I don't like honey that has too much pollen in it, I can tell.  Some honey from a cutout that I did, I thought was contaminated or something it was so strong, but since I've identified that smell/taste as pollen.  It made good mead  :-D. 

If I had to describe my perception of the flavor that I tasted, I would describe it as "mafia pear"...the decent flavor of pear somehow gotten too strong and bad.

Rick
Rick

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 12:35:12 am »
The taste to me is kinda bland or nasty and the texture is wierd. So to me it is nasty. But you are talking to someone here who doesn't eat brocolli or cauliflower. My wife likes some of the pollen but it just isn't my thing.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 01:19:54 am »
I happen to fall into the category of those who love pollen and it is good for you! Some is better tasting but all is good in my book. Hint, for that which is a little bitter mix with honey and you will be gulping down more. Eat your pollen, its good for you. ;)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 10:40:34 am »
The taste to me is kinda bland or nasty and the texture is wierd. So to me it is nasty. But you are talking to someone here who doesn't eat brocolli or cauliflower. My wife likes some of the pollen but it just isn't my thing.

I can eat broccoli and cauliflower all day long. Food textures I can't stand is shrimp, lobster, crab.  
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2023, 04:13:01 pm »
In my opinion it doesn't taste nasty as described by "Understudy", but neither does it taste sweet as was suggested by someone else. (again my personal opinion). It kind of has a taste of its own.. I eat it for the health benefits, not for the taste.  JPs' outlook sounds just right lol..
What is your opinion of pollen and the taste of it?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2023, 06:29:59 am »
First of all, it tastes different by source.  Second of all it tastes different by state.  Well fermented bee bread tastes different than trapped pollen.  Dried tastes different than fresh, &c.  Mixed with water and then drunk tastes different than dry, and capsules don't taste at all.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2023, 01:34:29 pm »
The other day I busted open a piece of comb filled with bee bread, so I gave some of it a try, and it was quite tasty to me, much better than dry pollen.  It was lightly sweet and VERY floral, but not bitter like some dry pollen can be.  It was probably aster pollen, since it was recently stored and yellow in color.

I really wish someone would invent a way to harvest pollen out of comb, because I bet the nutrients in the pollen are much more bioavailable since the bees have fermented it.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2023, 08:04:08 am »
Yes, fermented pollen is much more nutritious.  The bees inoculate the pollen at the flower where they mix some nectar into it and inoculate it with bacteria and yeast from their gut.  If you take your trapped pollen and put some bee bread and honey in it and mix it well into a dough like consistency you can ferment it in a jar...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2023, 12:46:33 pm »
Hm, I might try that.  I'm going to get some weird looks in the kitchen, but that won't stop me.  :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2023, 11:12:22 am »
Never mind the weird looks!  :wink:   let us know how you like it. lol  :grin:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.