Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Local package bees in Washington  (Read 5871 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Local package bees in Washington
« on: January 17, 2008, 05:53:35 am »
Hey guys!

Well my local bee farm where I normally buy my packaged bees just tacked on a $35 non-refundable deposit.  They're also a little pricy ($80 per package) but I like to support small local businesses and the people there are really great.  But $230 for two packages this year is a little out of my range and seems pretty crazy.

I'm thinking I better start looking elsewhere for packages.  I do not want to mail order, so does anyone know of anyplace that sells packages at a reasonable price within a 50 mile range of Tacoma Washington?  If not I might have to split my current hives a BUNCH.   :-\

Thanks again,

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Local package bees in Washington
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 06:46:34 am »
Sean, those prices are through the roof! I wouldn't bite. Definitely shop around and/or do some splits.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 07:14:17 am »
2x80=160. still pricey but i think they apply your non-refundable deposit toward your purchase.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 11:09:39 am »
Sean, I would hold tight on that thought.  I think that you should give Brian Bray a PM, he lives in Washington, he probably is not that far from you actually.  I know we have spoken about how close you, me and him actually do live, yet so far apart.  That price seems right off the wall to me, but then maybe I am forgetting how much they really did go for last year.  Sometimes we do this as humans, you know, that forget thing, hee, hee.  Have a wonderful day, but do talk to Brian.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 02:13:26 pm »
Yeah, I checked some places online and can get stuff mailed to me with shipping cheaper than they offer for pickup at their old prices (before this new non-refundable deposit).  For the price of two packages at my current supplyer I could get three for the same price elsewhere.

I need to give Stedman Bee Supply in Silverdale, WA a call and see what they charge.  Silverdale is a long drive, but better than going down to Oregon or up to Snohomish.

Randy, the deposit is in addition to the price of the package:  (2X35)+(2X80)=230

Cindi, Brian lives 123 miles from me and he lives 94 miles from you.  So he's about halfway between us.  :-)  I know there are a few bee shops up in his area, but I'd still be better off going down to Oregon since we could still visit our inlaws while down there.

I've been procrastinating, but I think now is the time to finally join a local bee club.  Either that or keep splitting the hives I have now.  But that might be a little difficult since I just ordered 5 more hives!  Plus I like to let the splits raise their own queens but I'd also like to have some genetic diversity.

Anyone know of any package supplyers yet in the Seattle-Tacoma area????  Anyone???  Anyone???

Hopelessly lost,

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 07:03:01 pm »
Well aint I the fool!

Randy was right, it was all just a complex misunderstanding.

I guess they had a large number of no-shows last season and they are hoping that by requiring a partial payment up front will either make people come get their bees or will defray some of the costs they incur.

Reason why this confused me is cause I've always thought we had to pay up front ahead of time anyway.

*wipes sweat from brow*

So now my only delima is whether to get Italians or Russians.   :-D

Sean Kelly

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:37:36 pm »
You might try Belleville Bees in Allen (it's a Burlington Address), they're a commercial outfit that runs over 3000 hives.  They also make their own equipment and sell some.   They've been known to sell some nucs.  I'll ask Eric about it at our next Pigeon club meeting (we meet in the office of his warehouse).  It would be a 360-757-_____ number.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 01:06:31 am »

Cindi, Brian lives 123 miles from me and he lives 94 miles from you.  So he's about halfway between us.  :-)  I know there are a few bee shops up in his area, but I'd still be better off going down to Oregon since we could still visit our inlaws while down there,
Sean Kelly

Sean, ah ha!!!  We have a spy amongst us, (hee, hee, good for you),  ;) :) :) :) smiling.

Did you check out the distances on google earth or something?  I am so totally impressed with how one can navigate around the country with this assistance tool.  It is amazing.  I didn't actually realize Brian was THAT close to me.  Not really all that far, it is just getting over the border.  That is the bummer of the bummers for sure.  It would be nice for you to visit your in-laws anyways for surely.  Have a beautiful and greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 12:57:02 pm »
sean, my place has gone up to 75.00 per package.  they have a 4 dollar refundable cage charge.  i think the first packages i got from them a couple of years ago were something like 63.00.  guess shipping and stuff have gone up, but that still seems like a big jump in just a couple of years.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 01:16:49 pm »

Randy, the deposit is in addition to the price of the package:  (2X35)+(2X80)=230

ok..then thats crazy. who is going to buy them for that price? i thought even $80 is too much. i drive more than an hour one way to pick up mine in the $60 range. good luck Sean.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 12:36:32 am »
For those interested here is a new supplier of packages and queens and they are an area agent for Bushy Mountain for Western Wahington.  They are located in Stanwood, WA 1/2 way between Seattle and Bellingham.

Cedar Glen Bees

They offer the following bees:  Italian, Minnesota Hygenic, Buckfast, New World Carniolan, Old World Carniolan, and Russian.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 02:42:03 pm »
Sean, you scared me there for a minute..I was planning on going to T&B for my bees!  You know, I wouldn't mind splitting an order (ususlly shipping is less for more stuff) but getting em close to home sounds like a better idea (NO shipping & less stress for the bees I imagine..) I can come with, or drive or help with gas if it's ok with you?  I would also love the opportunity to come see how your beeyard is set up?  I read about how things are done & why but it is always better for me to "hands on", see why & how..then i never forget! I am so excited to get started. 
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 10:07:54 am »
Poka-bee, you are excited about the bees, you got the fever!!!!  You ain't seen nothing yet.....why do you think there are so many forum members here?  We all got the fever, and the bees have us under their spell.

Ever get a chance, get your hands on a book called "The Spell of the Honeybee" by Eric W. Kelsey.  The title of the book is not kidding, we are under their command.  Have an awesome and wonderful day, Cindi

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 10:36:58 am »
Yeah, sorry for the scare Jody.  I was confused but the folks at Trees n' Bees cleared it up for me.  $75 per package plus a $5 refundable deposit for the box.  I still need to turn in mine from last year :-)
You could totally come over and see the bee yard one of these days.  Not much to see right now though since the hives aren't very active, much cooler to see when it warms up and the bees are busy.
Carolyn at Trees n' Bees said the packages should be ready by the second week in April, depending on weather.  I will be getting 2 or 3 packages this year, I'll show you how the installation works with my bees and then we'll drive down to your place and have you install yours.  Told my wife about bringing our daughter over to see your animals and she thinks that would be a blast and is excited to meet you!
Oh by the way, call Carolyn at Trees n' Bees to place your order, the sooner the better.  They require a minimum down payment of $35 up front which you can pay via credit card over the phone, but I'm just gunna pay it all in full like I did last year.  Tell her you want a package of Italians.
They have a store too with everything you could imagine for beekeeping, but at a real steep price.  But considering shipping prices these days from the catalogs, it's really not that bad.  Plus it's nice to have something that close incase of an emergency.

Anyways, very excited to help you get started!  It'll be fun having another beek just down the road from me!!!

Sean Kelly

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 12:55:07 pm »
Thank you Sean, I will call this AM!!  While thinking of what & where to order I always factor in shipping/vs sales tax!!  The library has my books in today YAYS!  I will reserve the Spell book Cindi.  Sposed to snow this weekend...good time to read all my treasures!  Sean, you & the girls are welcome any time.  The koi look cool now lurking under the ice but come april-ish I will be feeding again, they eat out of your hand, actually wriggle INTO your hands, your daughter will love it!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard