Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observation hive and exterminator?  (Read 1463 times)

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Observation hive and exterminator?
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:19:12 pm »
I am in the process of getting an observation hive for display in my office.  The one question I have not been able to answer yet is what to do when the exterminator comes in for the twice annual spraying or our facility?  The Observation hive will be 5 deep frame and be wall mounted 2+ foot off the floor.  It will be next to a window that can be opened. 

Does anyone have experience with this?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: Observation hive and exterminator?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 07:40:41 pm »
I have experience with my OH and the exterminators that come to my house, and I've never had a problem. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe my exterminators are using a different chemical.

But another option is to just close the hive when the exterminators come, and opening it up the next day.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 09:33:06 pm »
I  have worked in many offices that have indoor service from exterminators come around.  Most that  I see use a 'direct' spray that applies the chemical into crevices, corners, etc..

if your indoor observation hive is not near these areas, is closed  (as  I imagine it would be indoors and all) Not sure what affect, if any there would be.

I guess you could also mention to the exterminator to pay particular attention around the OH.  most of them are decent people.  They don't usually want to kill bees either.

Big Bear

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 10:36:15 pm »
If I were you I would put a shutoff valve of some sort on the entrance tube or hose from the Ob. hive. Have some sort of screen on the hive inside for ventilation and if you know the guy is coming you can just come in real early and shut off the entrance valve before they are active.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 10:14:03 am »
Thanks for the info.  The exterminator is actually a nice guy and he forwards honeybee calls (swarms, trap outs, and extractions) to me.  Ironically they are the state insect for both Kansas and Missouri and thus are illegal to kill.  I just wanted to see if there were any additional precautions that I should take.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

anything