Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: mushrooms, nuts and windmills...  (Read 3461 times)

Offline BeesNeeds

• New Bee
mushrooms, nuts and windmills...
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:10:06 pm »
Got a question...

It's looking like we will be able to relocate before spring, hooray!! For a future plan on the site we are hoping to get, we will have some very dwarf nut trees with a couple wind turbines in the grove. I would like to make that my mushroom garden area too...
Here's the question- is that ok for honey bees? It would all be at the back of the property, and the gardens will be set up at the front of the property. Would I have to make sure I keep the bees away from the back of the property, or will I be able to park em there once I get the area "flowered in"? Do honey bees even like nut blooms? Or should I encourage orchard bees, would that be bad competition for honey bees?
Probably won't even be able to think of placing hives till 2012, so I have plenty of time to plan this kind of stuff :)
- :bee: -

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: mushrooms, nuts and windmills...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 02:11:15 pm »
Well, considering almost all almonds are honeybee pollinated, I think they'd like nut blooms fine...  ;)

However, if you need to put insecticide on the nut trees, you want to keep the bees a healthy distance away.

Orchard bees would be fine, they don't compete with honeybees.

If the question is about adequate forage for the bees, they fly a long ways, if you have any forests, fields, flower gardens, hedgerows, weedy spots near the road, or any such thing within a 1/2 mile,  (and I don't think that there is anyplace that doesn't!) they'll find plenty to collect.
Rick

Offline BeesNeeds

• New Bee
Re: mushrooms, nuts and windmills...
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:46:25 pm »
well awesome that orchard bees don't compete!
Hadn't even thought about almonds since I will be in zone 5 and I thought almonds were right out for that zone? But I do want, well, one or two of everything that can be grown and is reasonably dwarf so that there will be zero interference when the wind mills go in. With the mushroom garden under the canopy of the nutgrove of course. The shady medicinal garden might end up in that area too, still not sure about that.
- :bee: -