Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Christmas Gifts  (Read 5052 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Christmas Gifts
« on: December 26, 2008, 10:17:38 pm »
I liked the Sawsall that I'ce always wanted and couldn't afford, even if it was refurbished, the spinning holder of every drill attachment ever created was really cool, and even the battery powered Cresent Wrench hit a spot in this old salts soul.  The the piece de resistance was what I described to my wife, in terms she'd understand (Chicken Soup For The Outdoorsman's Soul), is the book If You didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I Just Eat? by Bill Heavey.

Every page has a hoot, a holler, a couple of giggles, and even a buck snort or 2.  Funniest stuff I've read since Ed Zern's Exit Laughing.  Even Patrick F McManus, (I have his entrie collection) is only a mere chuckler when compared to Bill Heavey's self-depricating prose.

What was your favorite Christmas gift?  Rednecks and Surbanites are equally welcome to respond.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Christmas Gifts
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 01:36:47 am »
This year we didn't do gifts but did get together @ my Brothers.  Had a wonderful dinner, prime rib (I made.MMnnn!) Ham & all the fixins, snacks my ice cream hot buttered rum batter + spiced rum & PIE! He got out the safe w/Dads medals & family records, baptisms, Grandparents marriage certs, birth certs SS cards, union cards.. Mom's work history..MOM & Dad had EVERY important type paper w names & dates. Ken, Gayle & I compared our perceptions of things in our childhoods. What would be my great grandmother was hauled off to the loony bin by people in white coats!  No surprise there... :roll:  As we talked we were able to put together pieces of the family puzzle, who had talked about whom..My grandmother had been disowned by her family for marrying Grandpa, apparently he was too "white".A great evening for us siblings.  Enough time has passed since losing both parents, it was healing & wonderful.  We are no longer feeling like such orphans, feeling a little more grown up!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 03:23:42 am »
Our christmas was somewhat subdued becuase of the weather, I got the usuall, clothes and some gift certificates, we mailnly go all out for the kids. I have one taking a candle making class and another is going to be taking a beekeeping class.

Brian if you like a good laugh when you read, check out the books by James Herriot, his semi autobiographical books about being a vet in the 1940 - 1960 is some of the funniest reading I have ever done.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 02:42:51 pm »
I got my nieces the new guitar hero game. Hands down the most fun I ever had with someone else's gift. we played that game must have been 16 hours straight

Keith

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 03:40:38 pm »
Our christmas was somewhat subdued becuase of the weather, I got the usuall, clothes and some gift certificates, we mailnly go all out for the kids. I have one taking a candle making class and another is going to be taking a beekeeping class.

Brian if you like a good laugh when you read, check out the books by James Herriot, his semi autobiographical books about being a vet in the 1940 - 1960 is some of the funniest reading I have ever done.

Have then all, read them all, at least twice.  Yes, for a true country boy they are halarious.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 02:28:28 pm »
now i'm just gonna hafta re read herriot,  haven't read him since i was in the army!  it was really a hoot reading him just after finishing vet tech school, and being a farm kid anyway.  we drew names amongst the adults in the family,  i made my youngest sister a love spoon for her and her husbands new home.  he gave me a  set of tools to go in the truck(they will likely go to one of my daughters this summer to go in her car as my truck is already pretty full of snap on tools for my business)  but the best was bieng with both sisters, ma, and my youngest brother and watching his kids we all got the kids what we could afford.
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU general ham