Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Catch Question...  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Rex Smith

• House Bee
    • Harmony Hollow Apiary
Swarm Catch Question...
« on: May 15, 2012, 09:08:38 pm »
Hey folks,

I picked up a swarm last week after getting a call from a friend that they had a swarm in her back yard.  Their yard generally has a swarm that arrives every year.

This swarm pretty well filled my 5-frame nuc (with 3 frames with foundation in place - and the other 2 were foundationless frames).

Once home, I moved the bees to a 10-frame deep, with a screened bottom board and a frame-feeder.  2 days later.. the bees absconded.  Luckily, though - to a tree in my own yard.  I've re-captured them, and have them back in the 5-frame nuc.. and they seem content there.

Should I have kept the bees in the 5-frame nuc longer?  Any ideas as to why they absconded?  Too much room? Got too cool in the evening with the screened bottom board?  Or maybe they just didn't like the box.. who knows...  I'll wait til they draw out the 5 frames before moving them again.  By then - I hope they'll appreciate the screened bottom board.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Swarm Catch Question...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »
You right with the who knows.   Maybe they did not like being moved so soon again or the screen bottom.   Keep them in the nuc for a bit and then move them into the 10 frame hive.   And put a swarm trap in your friends yard. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:24:19 pm »
And put a swarm trap in your friends yard. 

must be a bee tree around.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 09:37:15 pm »
A frame of brood from another hive will anchor them.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline howardaj31

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:29:45 pm »
duck made a suggestion the other day to put a queen excluder between the bottom board and hive body.  I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet but sounds like a fabulous idea!

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:45:45 pm »
Put the queen in a queen catcher and rubberband it to one of the frames. Keep her in there for two days. Once they start drawing comb and here pheromones saturate the hive, they won't leave.

Offline Rex Smith

• House Bee
    • Harmony Hollow Apiary
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 11:22:23 pm »
Put the queen in a queen catcher and rubberband it to one of the frames. Keep her in there for two days. Once they start drawing comb and here pheromones saturate the hive, they won't leave.

Funny thing... In the 1.5 days that they WERE on those original frames - they drew out enough comb for the queen to lay 200-300 eggs.  When I saw that the bees had absconded - I threw that frame into one of my queenless hives so they could create a new queen.  Knocked down a few of the cells so they'd get the hint.

This nuc gets pretty darned active during the day.  The bees are gentle enough - but wow.. they are much more active than my other hives with Italians.  I've got a plastic queen excluder that I can cut to fit over the entrance of the nuc that I'm using... They seem pretty happy so far back in the 5-frame nuc for now.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 11:34:42 pm »
Just give them a frame with honey and some kids to take care of. They usually will hang around.
The excluder sometimes delays that virgin from her mating flights.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 11:01:15 pm »
The excluder sometimes delays that virgin from her mating flights.

right.. i have used the excluder when you know you got a big fat mated queen and you can keep them from taking off.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 09:02:01 am »
duck made a suggestion the other day to put a queen excluder between the bottom board and hive body.  I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet but sounds like a fabulous idea!

You can own lee leave the  queen excluder on for 2 or 3 days. (you may have a virgin queen)  Some time OPEN brood will hold them.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 09:05:16 am »
And put a swarm trap in your friends yard. 

must be a bee tree around.

Or a beekeepen  :-D

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 10:58:29 pm »
I most always cage her for up to two days. That usually will anchor them. Sometimes a brood frame will anchor them but I have had them abandon brood before. If it is happening on a regular basis consider your equipment to be the source. You can also clip her wings.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Rex Smith

• House Bee
    • Harmony Hollow Apiary
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 12:45:56 am »
They've now been in the 5-frame nuc box for about 2 weeks.  It's already time to move them to a standard 10-frame deep, as they've drawn out comb on all the frames, and the hive is really bustling - and eggs laid in a very solid pattern.

I've already taken one of the frames and knocked down 7-8 cells and last week placed it into one of my queenless hives.  I'll check the frames on that one to see if they created a queen cell from that frame of eggs.

Time to build more screened bottom boards!