Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observations and changes for me.  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Observations and changes for me.
« on: May 10, 2007, 11:25:39 am »
I need to make an update post on cut outs I have been doing both good and bad. I am way behind.

I have 8 hives in my yard now. 6 in other yards. These numbers will change. Because some of the cut outs will make it some won't. I have been pulling alternating frames and making nucs because of the need to prevent swarming.

I have reached several conclusions as to how I will handle some of my future beekeeping.
1. I still have a few deeps in a couple of my hives. They need to go. They are just to darn heavy. I have said this before. I stopped rotating but those guys are going to get replaced.

2. Unless I am doing rape fields or something similar there will be no more than 5 mediums in a colony. I will try to keep it around four. The mediums are much lighter but I have some hives right now that are going to turn me into a bee haver vs a bee keeper. Going through that many bodies and frames  even 2-3 times a year is a lot of work and I haven't highered any help. Nor am I going to. Also it is getting impossible to find the queen even with Michael's techniques. And even if the queen is marked. The big problem for me is I have two queens that cause me to beam with pride and grief at the same time. They can easy lay 3 mediums no problem. So I add another and these queens are like "Is that all you got?" It is nice but when 6 out of 10 frames are brood you are pulling the the outside frames for honey. I don't like doing that. I tend to leave brood bodies with their own honey supplies. But these queens make lots of brood not a lot of honey.

I am sure you all sympathize with my plight and feel my pain. Try not to throw things at your computer.

3. I am going to have to work out a deal with my wife on the number of cut outs I do. I can do a cut out everyday right now. But I have a real job and I travel a lot for that. So when I come home I do cut outs. My wife sees me with hives in my hand covered in honey and exhausted. She is tapping her foot on the issue of the number of hives in my yard and the lack of quality time. I am currently 4 weeks back logged on cut outs. Conclusion the wife is going to get more time. I actually like spending time with mine.

4. Michael's technique on dealing with a hot hive works great.The only problem is I don't have enough room to do all those splits and keep them far enough apart. However I can split them and put branches in front and force a reorientation with less than 150' distance between them. Also I can pull frames similar to the checkerboarding Michael also talks about. I will pull five frames from a body and put them in a nuc. If I can determine they have no queen in the nuc I will add one. I can let them form their own but I am worried about diploid / haploid issue due to not enough varied genetics. This also draws me to one other conclusion that Michael may not have pointed out. The level of aggression in a hive is directly proportional to the size of the hive. This means for me a larger hive could be more aggressive but a smaller hive will almost always be less aggressive. I have learned this applies to cut outs also. I believe the number of bees is the factor in this. Even if the hive is AHB if it doesn't have hundreds of bees to send out you are not likely to have a real aggressive hive. While AHB are not a problem in a swarm state and they throw off smaller swarms, it isn't untill they have a home to defend that it becomes an issue. Cutting down the amount of brood they create cuts down their numbers. Seems like pretty simple conclusion to me.

5. Pulling frames and doing cut outs has lead to this problem. I am running out of supplies. I have every nuc box I have filled.(I have 4 four). I have around 50 medium bodies filled give or take a few deeps. I have some permacomb still left but I only have about 10 frames left.
I have more mediums to put together from an order I received. Conclusion lack of supplies is no fun. Which leads me to my next problem.

6. As with problem 3 I still have to assemble bodies, make tops and put together other items. I have made my own mediums but the problem is time. The job needs me (and I need and like it). The wife needs me (and I need and like love the wife). The bees need me (and I like the bees). I lay out a pretty good schedule for my days but with my job so much can change on a moments notice, that a schedule sometimes is impossible to stick to. I prioritize things but when servers go down time is a precious item. Conclusion pacing and planning doesn't always work<---- I knew this before.

Still with me here or are you just throwing things now. I am sure you are all filled with grief over my issues. The next one will help even more.

7. I am running out of places to store my honey and wax. I have comb that is rotting because   I can't melt it fast enough. Don't even ask the wife about the freezer. I am doing a little over  2 gallons of honey for every 10 frames. I have a bunch of jars but they are filled. So I need more jars. Now for the biggie. I am also running around so much that I haven't had time to sell as much of my honey as I would like to which means I still have to recoup my costs. I don't expect honey and wax to recoup 100% but it helps. Also the honey seems to make people very happy(and I don't even put prozac in it). Conclusion, listening to people talk about keeping honey in 55 gallon drums no longer seems so silly to me. However that is way heavier than a medium.

Now while I am sure you are all looking at this and going to bad for him. These problems for me suck. Because I want to do the right things, be with my wife, keep my customers happy and help save people from the evil bees(other people's terms not mine). Even with getting help from my beekeepers association and we are all finding ourselves spread thin.

Anybody want to come down here and help with a cut out?

Sincerley,
Brendhan

PS. last issue and conclusion. I passed the 2000 post mark. Conclusion, maybe I spend to much time here. ;)

I usually am switching between this window and my bid forms. So I can post while working, we can that mulititasking. ;)

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Observations and changes for me.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 11:54:25 am »
I don't do as many cut outs as you do, and the calls I get are mostly over fifty miles away. One good thing about it is my wife goes with me. Even got her own bee Armour. (Sure helps reduce the number of trips up and down a ladder  ;) ) I also am short of money to buy equipment and I run short, (And I procrastinate a lot)

Perhaps you should just refuse more cut outs and spend the rest of this season catching up on what you got (yeah I know, your season is year round) Sell the honey, get more equipment, talk your wife into being with you. (I really love you honey and would really enjoy your company while I'm doing the bee stuff....  ;) Sweet talk gets them every time. ;) ) And then do another fast furious round of cut outs, yes the bees will still be there.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 12:03:23 pm »
ebay or craigs list your honey.  if you are lucky, you'll find locals who want it and you (or your wife) won't even have to ship it.  get bottles online.  you can often find lots on ebay.  they may not be 'honey' bottles, but who will know or care.  as for brood vs honey, i had the same problem with robo queen last year.  i feed the crap out of them late.  the bees compensated for the late storage and managed to pack the thing with honey. 

wish i could take some of you bees off your hands  :-).  may end up in florida yet!

try to remember that you can not save the world.  you can make a profound difference in your own little world, but you have to be present, both mind and body, to do it.   ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 12:11:34 pm »
to tackle the number of bee colonies, start selling them.
to reduce the ammount of cut-outs, just make sure your swarms don't stray away :-D
what if you'd combine the hives before the flow, i mean...4+4 mediums, one queen will get killed, btu you get a huge hive, just add 2-3 more mediums for honey surplus..well i don't know about this..just an idea.
and you say about too much brood, well start using queen excludor or even better, start selling package bees.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 12:56:45 pm »
Knowing how much you enjoy winters, move north. :) With winters comes lots of spare time to make hive bodies, repair and construct new hives and sell honey. Also no cutouts for months on end. These are just some of the benefits of living in a more northern state.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 01:10:25 pm »
does your wife work? can she go along with you on your work travels sometimes?

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 01:47:28 pm »
Maybe start renting your hives out to local farmers? I currently rent over 20 hives to different farmers. I charge them 200 dollars a hive for the year, and I get to collect the honey. Of course I always give them a complimentary bottle for renting.  8-)

Anyways, with renting, you get to keep your hives, plus it doesn't take up room in your beeyard.

A couple of recommendations on construction: Maybe invest in a air compressor if you don't have one? I can put together a super with 10 frames in about 10 minutes. Painting takes about 10 minutes.

My two cents.

Jake

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 01:54:30 pm »
Ok heres the plan:

1) Put the wife in charge of sales.
2) Combine colonies where possible
3) You probably know folks who are interested in beekeeping but like myself lack experience. Get them to assist ( looking after the bees and doing cut-outs). It may be a bit more hectic initially but once their and your confidence increases it will take off a lot of the pressure you are now under.   

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 08:51:52 pm »
Jerrymac:
I am getting my wife some protective gear. She already joins me on some of the cut outs. She does count that as quality time. I have refused quite a few already.

Kathyp:
Craigslist and ebay are great ideas. I need bears, I have three left.

Mici:
I am not quite at that stage where I can sell them.

KONASDAD:
No No No. To many taxes up there. ;)

randydrivesabus:
Yes she has a sweet government job. She does travel with me for cut outs and work trip sometimes.

Shizzell:
Not enough farms nearby.

sean:
According to my wife she does enough already.
I would love to find more people interested. The problem is finding them.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 09:55:21 pm »
In many ways, this sounds like a good kind of problem(s) to have. 

Sounds like mostly you are sorting out priorities and in the end relationships for years with a person may have more weight than bees who live 3 - 6 weeks :-\

Good luck with the struggle and the limit setting!

Linda T in sympathy in Atlanta

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 10:01:54 pm »
um, what's a cut out?

Sharon

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 10:35:17 pm »
In many ways, this sounds like a good kind of problem(s) to have. 

Sounds like mostly you are sorting out priorities and in the end relationships for years with a person may have more weight than bees who live 3 - 6 weeks :-\

Good luck with the struggle and the limit setting!

Linda T in sympathy in Atlanta

Yeah but the bees don't get testy when I leave dirty socks on the floor.  ;)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 10:37:11 pm »
um, what's a cut out?

Sharon
When the bees live in a building or item such as a tree and the property owner wants them removed.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 10:49:30 pm »
Keep going FULL STEAM AHEAD DUDE
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 10:50:22 pm »
Stop doing cutouts. Its that simple. (unless this is paying the bills)
No one ever said on their death bed, "I should have worked harder".

"To bee or not to bee"

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 11:10:13 pm »
but he loves doing cutouts. he is torn between the many things he loves and loves to do.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 11:29:20 pm »
cut out:  http://picasaweb.google.com/pearce.km/BeeExtraction

my one and only so far.  i was quite proud of it, but all the bees died or moved :-(.  if you do a search, understudy has posted some really great pics of his.  not all his techniques are to be recommended, but they are all quite interesting!!   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 10:12:52 pm »
Yea, the ladder tricks are something to behold!  :evil: