Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: DE beetle traps  (Read 4854 times)

Offline tina

• House Bee
DE beetle traps
« on: April 20, 2011, 06:10:36 pm »
I installed 1 trap yesterday but no SHB in it this morning.  How long do they take to work?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: DE beetle traps
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:44:00 pm »
Are you speaking of the ramp style DE traps (piece of thin wood with DE glued underneath)?? I tried them last year and found them to be somewhat effective. Not 100% but they did a pretty good job over all.

This type of device doesn't actually trap the beetles. When the beetles attempt to hide beneath it their antennae are cut which disorients them. They then either desiccate from the cuts or become easier targets for the bees to force from the hive. Don't expect to see masses of dead beetles (although you may find little bits of them scattered around). Instead, look for a general lessening of their population.

Hope this helps,

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 10:56:55 pm »
No these are black plastic traps with Diatomaceous Absorbacide included for each trap the beetles go in and eat the poison

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 11:10:46 pm »
Now that sounds like an effective trap! I'm not familiar with them...could you post a link?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 11:26:45 pm »
Diatomaceous Absorbacide is just a brand name of DE.     http://www.petandgarden.com.au/browse/print.asp?ProdID=132281  Beetles don't eat DE but I would like to see a link of the trap.

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 11:42:46 pm »
i bought them from sales@honeybee.com.au
it's a Brisbane firm   i don't know how to link sorry
have just lifted out a few super frames and after I put the lid back on there were 5 beetles in the trap   all laying on their backs kicking

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 11:48:57 pm »
the address is www.honeybee.com.au  or another brisbane firm with the traps is quality beekeeping supplies

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 02:19:03 am »
My AJ Beetle trap took a week or two - guess it took time for the beetles and bees to find it as it relies on the bees chasing the beetles, and the beetles looking for a small dark place to hide.
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings”
Lewis Carroll

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 02:30:57 am »
i have been checking the traps every hour today and more beetles each time   might be the heat today or lifting the lid and letting light in   also i put a drop of cockroach paste in each trap so that might be attracting them

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 09:23:54 pm »

Offline tina

• House Bee
Re: DE beetle traps updte
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 05:48:52 pm »
I'm finding the beetles death throes can puff some of the dust up through the top holes where the bees can get it     so overnight tried just sugar syrup in the trap and had 4 beetles this morning

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 09:15:58 am »
Do you put the DE Beetle Traps on top of the frames like the AJ or underneath?
Lone

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 05:39:11 pm »
they slide in on the bottom board

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 08:38:25 am »
I found another great idea for beetle control at http://www.beehacker.com/wp/?p=131.

Apparently nematodes kill the lavae when they go to the soil to pupate.  I think that the nematodes he suggests are a different species to the ones that mess with your tomato plants.  Sounds like a great idea. If my hives weren't on tiles I would try it.

You probably still need traps for the ones that fly in, but if it works it would really keep the numbers around a hive very low.
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings”
Lewis Carroll