Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: seal ply for migratory tops  (Read 2189 times)

Offline malabarchillin

• House Bee
seal ply for migratory tops
« on: January 12, 2009, 05:46:56 pm »
What do you use to seal the edges of your migratory plywood tops ? I have not been happy with just trying to let paint soak up. I did not want to hassle bending alum covers. Anyone glue up cypress fence pickets and cut to fit ? I could thickness plane cypress pickets and glue-up, but not sure if it would want to warp and curl up. I am in Fla so there is always a lot of humidity and rain to deal with. Saw a tv show that had phenalic layer on plywood for concrete forms. I assume that is what my bought cover is made from. Any source for that type of plywood ? I always seem to not have enough bottom boards and tops for swarms or temp needs and wish to build quite a few extras
Thanks
Mike

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: seal ply for migratory tops
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 07:13:15 pm »
I "boil" mine in beeswax and gum rosin.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesdipping.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
Re: seal ply for migratory tops
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:05:51 pm »
I built mine from scrap 3/4" thickness pine.  I just put the pieces side by side, and then put a strip across the top and bottom at each end to hold it all together.  I'm wondering how well paint will fill the cracks between the boards.  I'm sure after a few coats, it will be waterproof.  I'm sure these will last longer than plywood, in any case!

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.