Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone know the best deal on extractor setup ?  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Animator

• House Bee
    • Bee Nursery
Anyone know the best deal on extractor setup ?
« on: October 24, 2009, 07:11:00 pm »
I have a friend whom I have been helping with his bees. He is an old timer and wants to get ready for honey extraction. An entry level kit ( hot knife, scratcher, extractor and bucket) would be great.  Anyone have any suggestions as to the best place to get one.  How much worse are the hand cranked extractors for low volume beekeepers ?  I want to surprise him with a setup.

Also I am thinking about working with wax this year and making some candles or whatever. This is the first time I'm trying it. Any good references ?
Thanks.
Mike

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Re: Anyone know the best deal on extractor setup ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 01:29:43 am »
    You can check some of the bee suppliers catalogs (online or hard copy) for an extracting "kit".  If it isn't what you're looking for you may want to shop around for the best deal out there.  Don't forget to factor in shipping.  You may even find a second hand setup or parts locally. 

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Anyone know the best deal on extractor setup ?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:56:13 pm »
For anything less than 25 hives or so I don't think anything new is worth the cost.  Keep an eye out for a good deal on used and meanwhile do without or borrow one.  Unless you just want to spend money.  In which case I'd get a motorized 9/18 or so that will fit through your door.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything