Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Let's do a Rollcall of Aussies on the Forum  (Read 43486 times)

Offline Chevy

• New Bee
Re: Let's do a Rollcall of Aussies on the Forum
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2013, 08:04:37 am »
Hi Charles,

Which area are you from in Brisbane?

I just started out too and this is my fourth week and having my hives..

It sure is relaxing to sit and watch the bees.... That's if it stops raining for long enough..

Welcome...

Offline Charles Sen

• New Bee
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2013, 08:07:32 am »
Hi Chevy. I'm on the northside at Bridgeman Downs

Offline Charles Sen

• New Bee
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2013, 08:10:05 am »
I know what you mean about the rain. it was driving me nuts Jay. I had my hive built a year and then i injured myself and then waited for a hive once I was strong enough to do things so really looking forward to getting the hive.

Offline Chevy

• New Bee
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2013, 02:05:38 pm »
Fingers crossed this Saturday is looking like the first day without rain... Good luck

Offline Charles Sen

• New Bee
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2013, 12:52:48 am »
All went well Jay. Got the hive Wendesday evening and I did an inspection on the weekend.

Offline Chevy

• New Bee
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2013, 08:32:17 am »
AWSOME... I also did my first swarm collection... How did the hive inspection go?

Offline wannabeehobbit

• New Bee
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2013, 10:38:27 pm »
Hi, was given some yummy hunny by a bee keeper from NE Victoria, just wondering if the bee keepers here sell their honey?

Offline Charles Sen

• New Bee
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2013, 07:41:45 am »
Hive inspection went much better than I could of hoped. The bees were so gentle I really didn't need any protective clothing at all. I took it of except the veil and hat. I couldn't believe how they let me pick up frames etc and not try to sting me. I saw some brood and capped brood and honey and the pattern was good but darned if I could see the Queen. I saw at least one drone though! One thing I noticed though I was sitting right beside the hive for an hour watching the goings on at the entrance which I found really fascinating but I saw 2 SHB's fly up to the entrance and eventually land onthe landing board!!! These things must be everywhere. During the time I was watching every time the SHB tried to get in it was chased back out again but this must go on all day long. I found one dead SHB on the ground and I saw a bee in a fury with one between its mandibles actually come buzzing out of the entrance and carry the darn thing off. I have a SHB trap in there but am going to get a bottom board with oil trays as well as this scared the daylights out of me.