Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I noticed something kind of funky today  (Read 2169 times)

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
  • 42 days and their wings fall off, eh?
I noticed something kind of funky today
« on: May 13, 2009, 06:32:36 pm »
We opened up the hive earlier in the day to check the upper hive body, and discovered it was almost all built out and that the bees had started storing nectar in it and the Queen had been laying eggs through out it.  And we even found the Queen up there.  So everything is moving along.
BUT, later this afternoon I noticed a lot of activity around the front of the hive and also some really big looking honey bees which I really had not noticed before.  They had big black adomens or back sides whatever you call the last body part in front of the stinger.  My bees I always normally think of as much smaller and more yellow and black striped.  So I was thinking maybe these big bees were trying to rob the hive, especially since we had it open earlier and they might of got a whiff.  I can't say, but there sure looked like there was a skirmish going on and several from both sides ended up in the grass on the front lawn.  Eventually all settled down and has seemed to return to normal. 
Now that the honey is flowing I'm thinking or maybe I'm just paranoid that robbing is something to be aware and cautious of.  Not sure what to do about it though.
-pc

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: I noticed something kind of funky today
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:42:15 pm »
Sounds like drones, the male honey bee.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline WayneW

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:11:41 pm »
Yeah, drones. First time i saw them, i thought my hive was being invaded by smallish bumbles..... Sure fire way to tell,...... pick one up and let it walk around on your hands. Drones have no stinger.
A beekeeper is not what i am, it's what i aspire to become.

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 11:22:58 am »
Polenchucker, definitely that big ol' drone.  By the picture that Nasalsponge put in to reply to your question, that clearly shows how BIG the big ol' boys are.  By the way, Nasalsponge, that is an EXCELLENT shot of the size difference between the two genders, excellent.  Have that most great and most wonderful day, lovin' and livin' these lives, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 11:46:02 am »
I would also like to add that robbing is mainly a problem during a dearth and not while the honey is flowing.

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
  • 42 days and their wings fall off, eh?
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 01:26:47 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Yep sure looks like what I was seeing.  Funny I just hadn't noticed them flying in and out of the hive before.

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 01:03:52 pm »
I call them BEE 52's :-D

Offline beedad

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 12:07:06 am »
the drones(in my area) are just starting to emerge.  and its normal to get drones from other hive in your hive.  they're welcome everywhere....well till fall.