Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 queen cells per mating nuc  (Read 4492 times)

Offline broke-t

• New Bee
2 queen cells per mating nuc
« on: July 12, 2008, 01:05:45 am »
I am planning to raise a few queens next year and have been reading all I can find on queen rearing.  Have a question for yall.

Since I will only want 8 to 10 queens would it be better to graft a bunch of extra cells and then put 2 queen cells per mating nuc.  This should up my chances of getting a queen in each nuc.

Doesnt take much more time to do 40 grafts than 20 and will be using splits in 5 frame nucs for mating nucs so really need queen in each one.

Thanks,  Johnny

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: 2 queen cells per mating nuc
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 09:51:50 am »
Since I will only want 8 to 10 queens would it be better to graft a bunch of extra cells and then put 2 queen cells per mating nuc.  This should up my chances of getting a queen in each nuc.
The hatching rate isn't usually the factor,  it is the return rate from mating flight that is.

Doesnt take much more time to do 40 grafts than 20 and will be using splits in 5 frame nucs for mating nucs so really need queen in each one.

Time is not the issue, resources to make, feed, and build the cells is.  It takes a lot more "bee" resources to produce 40 cells than 20.  The numbers you are talking really doesn't make too much difference, but if it where me,  I would graft 10-20% more cells than you want and only put one cell per mating nuc.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline broke-t

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 12:22:49 pm »
What % would be normal for mated queens compared to cells placed in nucs?

I am trying to build up my hive numbers and hate to do splits and then not have queen to put in them.

Robo, I built a copy of your bee vac and it worked great.

Johnny

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 02:06:52 pm »
What % would be normal for mated queens compared to cells placed in nucs?
There are too many factors involved and it changes continuously.   Weather plays a big part in it.  At times I have almost 100% and at other times I have had as low as 50% or less.   I guess I would figure 75-80% to play it safe.  If you have a few left over,  you can make a few more nucs or find someone to take them off your hands.
[/quote]

I am trying to build up my hive numbers and hate to do splits and then not have queen to put in them.

I hear you, and like your idea.  I'm not one for making walk away splits.  Your better off to rear your own quality queens and then make your splits with them.

Robo, I built a copy of your bee vac and it worked great.

Excellent, glad it is working out for you.  I've had great luck with mine and I have gotten a lot of positive feedback from other folks that have built them.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 02:03:09 am »
>Since I will only want 8 to 10 queens would it be better to graft a bunch of extra cells and then put 2 queen cells per mating nuc.  This should up my chances of getting a queen in each nuc.

If I had extra cells and no where to put them, I might do that.  Otherwise I would set up more nucs.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline deejaycee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 07:48:30 pm »
Someone posed a similar question at a meeting last year.  A very respected and experienced beekeeper came up with the most eminently sensible reply:

"Having put all this effort into breeding a lovely new young queen, why on earth would the first thing I do to her be to put her into a 'battle to the death'.. because that's what two queens do when they meet."

.. or words to that effect.

Make a few more cells than you need, and make a few more nucs than you need.  You can always  knock a queen on the head and combine if you have too many.

anything