Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: fury of the wind  (Read 3295 times)

Offline okiequeenbee

• New Bee
fury of the wind
« on: February 11, 2009, 09:53:18 pm »
I thought that I had escaped the wrath of Mother Nature last night, but alas, no.  I went to check one of my out yards and found one hive that was flipped upside down, telescoping cover, inner cover, and rock blown away.  The bees did not survive.  Another one the telescoping cover, inner cover and rock were gone but the bees were still ok.  Found it all and put it back together.  And another one the telescoping cover and rock were gone but the inner cover was still on.  Didn't check on the bees as it was getting late and chilly.  I found the rock, but didn't find the cover.  There was also what appeared to be someone's tin animal shelter crumpled up by my fence.  Welcome to Spring in OK.
Today, I see Life as my eyes have never seen it before - and, OH, how they shine.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: fury of the wind
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 09:58:50 pm »
Yeh, Okie...That mess of storms just slid right over us at the tail end....we got hail for over an hour, but some of town didnt even get rain!..Im glad I havent put a garden in! But, Im thinkin its gonna freeze a few more tinmes before spring..maybe even snow. Im just south of you in wichita falls, Tx.
your friend,
john

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:24:54 pm »
I was worried about my bee's to but just as the storm got here lake texoma seem to calm it down and we just had bad rain

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 08:45:18 am »
We are getting HAMMERED by wind today!
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 10:49:57 am »
I found your rock and cover in my back yard.  You need bigger rocks!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 11:05:11 am »
this is a little off subject (a lot), but every time i hang out with folks from the hurricane or tornado areas, and mention that i am from CA, they shudder.  OH, HOW CAN YOU STAAAAND THOSE EARTHQUAKES?? 
this comment usually comes as i am standing in the middle of the rubble of what used to be their neighborhood.

can someone explain how it's better to be sucked up toward heaven then deposited in a tree somewhere, than to have the earth jiggle a little under your feet?

glad you guys are ok.  looked like a pretty big mess.  saw Parkersburg last year and it really hammered the power of those things home for me
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 11:50:05 am »
Perhaps you meant Greensberg Ks. the little town of 1500 that was totally wiped off the map?

To me the difference is that an earthquake covers a much larger area causing even small damage to everything.  Cracks in the foundation, sheet rock and minor breakage of falling items from shelves would be an annoyance, but when a tornado passes by, it did just that, it passed by.

They say you can know when there is a tornado in Kansas because everyone runs out to the street.  However if you can see it coming you can take shelter, but like Black Oak Arkansaw said in a song, "In an earthquake there is nowhere to run!"

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 11:54:27 am »
no, parkersburg IA. 

http://www.kcci.com/slideshow/weather/16393589/detail.html

was may of last year - then came the floods.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 12:14:19 pm »
Kathy,
I don't know what it wrong with those folks in hurricane country. They have days... weeks... notice that some thing is coming and then they act surprised when it gets there.

Tornadoes on the other hand at most is an hour notice. And folks, you don't have to wait for the national weather service to tell you to duck, just go ahead and take it upon yourself to do so.  :roll: Anyway, most times we do have a little notice and then we go back to our regularly scheduled program.  :-D

Earthquakes are suddenly there. No warning.

What kind of winds did you get up there? I have cinder blocks on mine and they haven't gone anywhere in 75+ mph winds. And I am out in the open. Nothing to block that 75+ mph wind.  
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 01:01:32 pm »
I use cinderblocks too and have no problem with the winds.

This is what a town looks like when it is wiped off the map.  :(

http://www.kansas.com/static/slides/050507tornadoaerials/

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 01:42:43 pm »
I use cinderblocks too and have no problem with the winds.

I don't normally use cinder blocks. But some have said I have a problem with wind... :imsorry: 
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 03:05:00 pm »
I don't normally use cinder blocks. But some have said I have a problem with wind... :imsorry: 

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 03:42:31 pm »
Jerrymac,

The problem with a hurricane is that the thing is just so dang BIG and covers say.......the entire east coast!  Where ya gonna go?

Can't pack up and head out west, they have tornadoes!  Ha!Ha!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 04:13:47 pm »
You live along the coastal areas where hurricanes will hit. Build a home that will survive it. Don't build in low areas especially lower than sea level. Build at least one room that will serve as a vault to protect all those precious things you feel you can't replace and don't want to loose. When you hear of one forming off out there, move those things into the room. Do you have what you need to fortify against it. If not get it. Latest updates say it is moving your way. Fortify your home. Drive stakes into the ground and ratchet strap your beehives. Load up your family and go before the mass evacuation starts.

And hurricane season doesn't happen during our tornado season so feel free to come visit.

anything