Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Dad's Garden/Mini Orchard & Hive #41  (Read 8416 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
My Dad's Garden/Mini Orchard & Hive #41
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:52:16 pm »
I took some pics of my Dad's garden this evening. He has lots of vegetables and a bunch of fruit trees. Tomatoes, potatoes, cucumber, brussel sprouts, squash, okra, eggplant, dill, basil, apples, oranges, satsumas, pomegranite, fig, etc...

This is also where I keep hive #41, which is very strong, I hadn't checked it in a while (about a month) and was surprised that 9 & 1/2 frames were drawn out. The queen is a beast, really nice pattern she's laying. I added two mediums this evening. There is a good chance they will make honey this season and they started as a swarm!

Hope you enjoy the pics, my Dad works hard to keep up his garden, its pretty big for an urban set up.

Oh, and I couldn't stop eating the cherry tomatoes right off the vine!!!

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/May172008

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: My Dad's Garden/Mini Orchard & Hive #41
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 11:56:31 pm »
Do you help him?  Great garden and you can get all those veggies you need for your diet right there.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 12:01:25 am »
My parents have lived in that house since 1977. I helped my Dad establish the garden with loads & loads of dirt & manure, etc...

Backbreaking work, wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow, it was worth it. I rarely get to spend much time over there now. We both are so busy.

When we got in trouble we had to "weed" didn't like that much. But I have always loved fresh vegetables right from the garden. He had another one at the previous house, it was nice also.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 12:17:58 am »
Did you do a lot of weeding??? Get my drift??

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 12:40:45 am »
Did you do a lot of weeding??? Get my drift??

Me??? :-D

Maybe, a lil, a lurdle bit. ;) :-D

...JP

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 01:51:14 am »
Is the garden this spring??  Must be if you said you were there tonight.  Here we havn't even planted the corn, beans or pumpkins yet!  Tomatoes are just going out.  Swiss chard is really good in smoothies, as are beets/greens, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, squashes...kale & mustards are too strong. Hubby firmly states he doesn't like those things & won't em.  I just smile & say yes dear as I hand him his morning smoothie!! :evil:   I have never had a fresh fig, bet it's nummy!  It's so cool to see what is in other parts of the country so different than ours!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 02:43:06 am »
My father (77yrs old and will work a 40 year old to death) planted 3 fulls acres this spring.  Mostly Irish potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, field peas, sweet onions, multiplying onions, black berries, and a few other things.  Had a mild heart attack last Saturday and found out he has some blockages and needed a pacemaker.  Came home Thursday and now Saturday he's already back in his garden, all be it he is not working it just yet.  Hired a young kid to do some of it "til I've rested a week" he said. The poor kid had no idea what he was getting into. I checked on them after two hours and the kid was already beat. Some of the family had a fit that he was out there.  He asked his Doc what he could do and he was told to do whatever he felt like doing just not to over use his left shoulder.  I know he needs to slow down.  But if you keep him out of that garden you might as well look to bury him.  His mother worked hers until she was 92 years old. :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 10:10:13 am »
Jody, my Dad's garden is a yr round thing, we don't have much of a winter here in southeast Louisiana. Fresh figs are wonderful, especially the smaller thin skinned ones. I like them slightly chilled but any way you have them they are a real treat. The thing with fruit is that they are concentrated little power houses and imo should be eaten as a whole fruit. Dried in moderation cause when they are dried they become superconcentrated and very high in sugar, even though they are a good type of sugar.

Hab, sounds like your Dad & mine would have a lot to share. He sounds like a good man. One day, I may develop my green thumb, if I could find the time! ;)

I wish your Dad a 100% recovery, good luck & best wishes.

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 10:41:13 am »
JP and HAB, some comments here for both of ya!!!  Your Fathers are wonderful!!!

JP, there are things I need to know about in your Father's garden.  Did I see oranges?  I saw a plant that had a little fruit or something like that growing on it in the crook of of leaves where they meet the stem, I think it was white, what was it?  Look at the picture.  And I can't believe that he is growing brussels sprouts.  I thought they only grew where they get some really cold weather when they mature, very obviously not.  Lovely.  He has an incredible garden, I was shocked when I saw it and marvelled at his stuff, yeah for your Dad!!!

HAB, your Grandmother must have been an amazing woman, 92 years of age and still workin' the garden.  I wish your Father a speedy recovery, and he will do that fastly, hee, hee.  I think that humans that work the earth like we know so many do, have years on their counterparts that do not much of anything outdoors, long live the gardeners!!!  Beautiful, most wonderful day, we all be lovin' this life we share.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 10:43:07 am »
HAB your father will be in my prayers! My dad was like that, no veggies but his roses, oh my!  I think you are healthier & live longer more productively (& happily) if you keep active.  Once one starts sitting in front of the tv brains & bodies sieze up.  It gives you something to be held accountable for w/gardens, animals & bees, a reason to get up, get out & move.  You are also using brain cells, creating neuron pathways planning, plotting, (how can I get the cool new stuff I want without the spouse finding out... ):evil: finding solutions for whatever comes up. Ya know, 77 used to sound so far away & old..now it's right around the corner! :roll:  Jody

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 11:00:43 am »
Cindi, which one are you inquiring of?

Pic#1 

Or Pic#2

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 11:35:11 am »
JP, it was image #26, if I veiw them the same as you do, it was the image that was 2 before the picture of the actual orange tree (was it an orange tree).  It reminded me of a flower that I once grew called "Widows Tears" Tradascentia, I am sure it is not the same plant, but the foliage and where the flower/fruit sits on the stem are nearly the same.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, gotta go now, I'll look for your answer tomorrow morning, wish I had more time on the forum, but life is worse than busy, hee, hee, gotta go and get more training on my bike.  Havin' the time of my life with it!!!  By the way, my Husband thought your bike, the Valchrie (spelling?) was a beauty, sorry that is was gone with Katrina.  Beautiful and wonderful day in our great lives we share.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 11:59:07 am »
JP, it was image #26, if I veiw them the same as you do, it was the image that was 2 before the picture of the actual orange tree (was it an orange tree).  It reminded me of a flower that I once grew called "Widows Tears" Tradascentia, I am sure it is not the same plant, but the foliage and where the flower/fruit sits on the stem are nearly the same.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, gotta go now, I'll look for your answer tomorrow morning, wish I had more time on the forum, but life is worse than busy, hee, hee, gotta go and get more training on my bike.  Havin' the time of my life with it!!!  By the way, my Husband thought your bike, the Valchrie (spelling?) was a beauty, sorry that is was gone with Katrina.  Beautiful and wonderful day in our great lives we share.  Cindi

This one:

I'll have to ask him today, its by his little bog, it may be cattail, I'll find out.

Yes my Dad has lots of orange trees and satsumas.

The Valkyrie was a pretty cool bike, I'll try and find a better picture of it. Your bikes are pretty darn impressive as well.

Ahhhh, the thrill of a good ride with the wind in your face, the different smells in the air. Ever notice how you can tell you are approaching some bodies of water before you even see the water? Temperature changes in the air is the dead give away.

Have a great time riding and be safe.

A couple of lil tidbits if you don't mind: Be careful at traffic lights and major intersections, there are usually oil deposits there, look carefully before you put your feet down so they don't slide out on ya.

Watch out in turns for gravel, sand, as its easy to lose traction in a turn such as this.

When you park the bike, don't back all the way into the spot. Others that try and park may not see your bike and come barreling in and could crash right into your bike, believing the spot is empty, this holds true for small cars. Park in the front of the space so you are visible, I do the same with my wife's itsi bitsi (mitsubishi).

Lastly, be VISIBLE this is the most important thing of all because lots of people just don't know how to act around a bike and some do have trouble seeing you as bikes are much smaller than autos.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe!!! ;)

...JP

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 02:26:50 am »
AAAAHHHEMMM...HELMET! :-D ;)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 10:11:20 am »
JP, thank you for the kind words.  I will always be very careful.  I had studied the manual very well, I thought anyways.  I had to write the learners test 3 times, on the third time I got it right, with only 2 wrong, the computer didn't let me finish the test because I had enough right compared to wrong.  Ooops, this is going off topic, but I will only be a moment.  I had bike riders here that have ridden for years and are telling me every little scenario possible to make sure I am safe, they want me to be as safe as they can make me when I ride, I listen....and I learn, I am a very cautious woman, with everything I do, I will be as safe as I can possibly make my life.

About your Dad's garden, again, it is so impressive.  Find out about the plant near the bog, I would love to see more pictures of his beautiful garden, and pleeze, tell him I am impressed, that would make him feel good, he has put his lifetime into this gardening, that shines through, and he must be commended for that, yeah!!!!  We all need recognition and pumping up, this makes our lives entirely great and happy!!!!  Have that most beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 10:15:01 am »
Cindi, I think they are cattails but I will ask him. He gives free tours all the time. :-D

...JP

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 11:08:05 pm »
THAT IS ONE AMAZING GARDEN! WOW! I THOUGHT I WAS DOING GOOD DARNIT! I LOVE HOW THE HIVE IS NESTLED IN THE MIDDLE OF EVERYTHING! I BET THEY ARE HAPPY! PLANTS AND BEES!!! THX SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!!
HEATHER

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 11:59:13 pm »
THAT IS ONE AMAZING GARDEN! WOW! I THOUGHT I WAS DOING GOOD DARNIT! I LOVE HOW THE HIVE IS NESTLED IN THE MIDDLE OF EVERYTHING! I BET THEY ARE HAPPY! PLANTS AND BEES!!! THX SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!!
HEATHER

I like your avatar!

My Dad's garden sure is awesome, but sadly I will be moving the bees from his yard as they were in a great spot but he needs to work that area, besides, he was stung a few times a few weeks ago and although he did't want to move them because of this he is allergic and maybe its for the best. I'll move them to my bee yard.

...JP

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 08:47:37 pm »
thx (about the avatar) it was the goofiest pic i had of myself...  so exactly how bad was your dad's reaction to the bee stings? Im allergic to scorpions and about everything else..but I was stung by a bee one day in the salon I used to work at...was scared till I noticed I was still breathing so I think im ok.....if not...I have epi pens!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 09:21:26 pm »
thx (about the avatar) it was the goofiest pic i had of myself...  so exactly how bad was your dad's reaction to the bee stings? Im allergic to scorpions and about everything else..but I was stung by a bee one day in the salon I used to work at...was scared till I noticed I was still breathing so I think im ok.....if not...I have epi pens!

My Mom says he acted like a wuss the rest of the night, so I guess it was bad. I don't think I've ever met anyone who claimed they were allergic to scorpion stings, you're the first!

...JP ;)

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 09:49:19 pm »
omg! Its the worst thing EVER! The sting itself hurt like heck..I thought I was alright but my Mom called the ambulance (talk about embarrassing...Im 32!) and they showed up, told me to put ice on it....then the hives (not bee hives either) starting climbing up my neck and face! Next thing I know I got thrown in the back of the ambu and off we went! Two shots of Epi, two shots of liquid benadryll and oxygen.....I felt like such a dork!  Was sick and sore for two weeks! Dad just got stung day before last and he was ok...scared me tho....

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 12:31:25 am »
Nice raised beds, good way to manage things and you don't have to bend over so far  :-D

David