Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Removed the bees from the Squirrel box.  (Read 1784 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Removed the bees from the Squirrel box.
« on: March 22, 2012, 01:04:41 pm »
We, Jim and I, (the other Jim) removed the bees from the squirrel box. This is the hive that swarmed last week. I could not find a queen in this box nor the nuc that they swarmed to. We did find 4 Q cells that had queens hatch from. The second part is a bit , way bit long. I have to figure out how to do the editting stuff.
Hope you enjoy.
Jim
Squirrel Bee Hive 1
Squirrel Bee Hive 2
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Removed the bees from the Squirrel box.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:39:24 pm »
I believe you have a queen in this hive. Leave them alone for a week & do a check. I think you'll have evidence then. Hinged squirrel box, that is cool. Would be a good snag for Bud4!  ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Removed the bees from the Squirrel box.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 01:00:48 pm »
JP, you were right. I found the queen. She is golden on the bottom of her abdomen and black on top. This hive was very weak on Sunday so I caught her and decided to put her in the OB hive that failed to produce a queen after I put there queen in a split.
I then went into this hive and found lots of eggs and several hundred beetles. Jim and I killed and cleared every beetle in this hive and the hive that this hive swarmed to (no queen) and moved the best 3 frames to a new nuc. I added 3 frames with starter wax strips in the top slot to give them room to grow with out giving a place forthe beetles to lay eggs. The frames are full of eggs with no brood. What do you think the chances are they will survive? the 3 frames have lots of bees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin