Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Southeastern Ky  (Read 2282 times)

Offline TuggerJoe

• New Bee
Southeastern Ky
« on: April 10, 2009, 01:42:55 am »
Been talking to a bee keeper since last fall, went two weeks ago and got a hive from him. Been doing some reading here and there. Always wanted a science project like this. Got a catalog from some bee store and ordered a bee keeping kit from them. Smoker, New hive and such. Haven't receive these items yet. Dad and I are thinking we will keep two hives. Noticed yesterday that we have some piss ants going into our hive. Don't know what to think of this yet. We have been stung before. Been thinking though we should get some of those bee pens anyway just in case. Read you can just develop a reaction to things like this. Paranoid they will die out. Seem to be doing fine though we did just have a cold spell down around 20 again. Found quite a few bees out on their porch dead. Also had a bumble be go in there the other day too thought that was strange. Guess they ran him off haven't seen anymore return. Don't really know the condition of the queen or anything. We have always liked to feed bees in the fall around our garden. Set up a feeder with some sugar water or something. Like watching them all come in to that and tend the garden.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Southeastern Ky
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 04:06:43 am »
Welcome,

1st bees are not a science project they a life necessity.  I can't function if I don't get  my weekly bees stings (really...I have arthritis, Fibromyalia, and a host of other problems that the stings help with).  They soon become an addiction.  Enjoy.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 09:40:42 am »
Hello and Welcome TuggerJoe
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 02:15:20 pm »
TuggerJoe, welcome to our forum, great that you have found us.  You have entered a very fascinating "science", the world of apiculture.  The more that you have to do with the bees, the more you will find that you will be hopelessly under their spell, we all are.  This will be a place where you can spend great time, learn alot of stuff, a place to ask questions, and you will have many.  You will have a place to tell your stories, tales, experiences -- and also make some new friends, stick around, we love new members.  Have that wonderful and most awesome day and life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline TuggerJoe

• New Bee
beekeeping basics
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 10:04:08 am »
Where can I find just general bee keeping information at on this site. I can't seem to find any basic stuff. I'm kinda overwhelmed with all the information I feel I need to learn.
                                               Thanks
                                                        Joe

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: beekeeping basics
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 10:58:10 am »
Where can I find just general bee keeping information at on this site. I can't seem to find any basic stuff. I'm kinda overwhelmed with all the information I feel I need to learn.
                                               Thanks
                                                        Joe
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/board,2.0.html or try the search at the top of the page. Hope this helps you
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 11:20:28 am »
as you wander around the site you'll get the hang of it.  it's pretty well broken down.  use categories for general info on subjects and search for specific info.

also, if you would go into your profile and put your location, this will help people answer you questions with area specific info.

welcome to beekeeping!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything