Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Checkerboarding - Walt Wright  (Read 9256 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Checkerboarding - Walt Wright
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:48:09 pm »
 It is that time of year for most and maybe a little late for some others. That time is the right window for checkerboarding. Anyone interested in participating in a thread on checkerboarding Walt Wright style please post. I say Walt Wright style because many make changes to his system and call it checkerboarding and refer to it as checkerboarding. I would like the post to stay on track with checkerboarding and the system as Walt has coined it and tried to share with all.

I ask please that the thread be for those that have used the system or would like to learn how to use the system. Negative naysayers, I respectfully ask you to refrain from posting. By all means if you have tried the system and it did not work out post your experiences, in a positive way, and let's try to learn from them. Maybe we can identify something that went wrong while you were trying to implement the system and shed light on it for all or maybe it just ain't for you.

On the other hand maybe you have used checkerboarding as Walt explains in his writing and it has both helped you to control swarms and increased your honey yield. By all means we need you to participate also.

I tried to get Walt to come to the forum several years back and at the time he said he could not handle two forums. He post frequently on the other one. Walt is in his 80's now and over the last few years has become more familiar with the use of his computer so maybe I can lure him over to join us on the thread. We will see??? I have talked to Walt by phone and corresponded by Pm mail. Before he got real familaier with computers he was having his son-in-law post and help him. Heck he took the time to answered question(s) I had through postal service. He is that eager to help!

We at Beemaster, I hope John and Ken don't mind me saying we, pride ourselves in being a positive learning forum. The moderators try to keep the post non- confrontational and don't mind booting you if they think you get out of line. The moderators do a good job in keeping it that way although their decision may not be popular to some. I say this because if you read some of the post to Walt on the other site they are wellll...... you know. Can we do this thread in a positive way and make it a learning experience?  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:12:13 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Moots

Re: Checkerboarding - Walt Wright
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 04:55:05 pm »
SC,
Not sure how complex it is, but a good start might be a clear definition/explanation of the Walt Wright checkerboarding method, or possibly a link or where to read up on it.  I've heard the term and am briefly familiar with it, but would be interested in learning more.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 05:01:34 pm »
Start here Moots- more later night shift time  :( But glad to have a job but hate the hour drive.

http://www.knology.net/~k4vb/all%20walt%20articles.htm

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 05:02:20 pm »
Steve,
We never have a problem with contributors. We do have Walts articles listed in the reprint archives,but Walt is more than welcome to share his insight.
The only ones we had any trouble with is the confrontational few or ones that looked to peddle their goods in our commercial free atmosphere. We don't even mind a commercial operator responding if someone asked about one of their products, it just won't be a forum to peddle their wares.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 05:05:46 pm »
I believe that this method is something that you will be able to employ only in the south.  Here in the cold north, I have not had a hive come through winter with a box still overhead.  Then again I am only entering my 4th year
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 08:23:02 pm »
Steve,
We never have a problem with contributors. We do have Walts articles listed in the reprint archives,but Walt is more than welcome to share his insight.
The only ones we had any trouble with is the confrontational few or ones that looked to peddle their goods in our commercial free atmosphere. We don't even mind a commercial operator responding if someone asked about one of their products, it just won't be a forum to peddle their wares.

Not waht I meant at all Ken :) I forgot his articles were listed? I was just saying would love to have a learning conversation on his system and not a It just won't work converstion on the part of those who have never tried it. I don't think he has any wears to seel other tahn he has a pdf manuscript you can purchase for basically the printing cost where you don't have to try and fumble through all the article.

I extended the invite again but I think he probably think he has his palte full with one forum.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 08:26:24 pm »
I believe that this method is something that you will be able to employ only in the south.  Here in the cold north, I have not had a hive come through winter with a box still overhead.  Then again I am only entering my 4th year

That is exactly what all most beekeepers say. Some however have made it work. So you can't leave the extra box needed. That is the investment needed. Walt will tell you he knows how it goes in Tn and areas that he has recived reports in from other beekeppers. Alot of Naysayers however just to be naysayers  ;) In no way intended at you :)

Offline obxbee

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 08:50:48 pm »
Last year our local club had Mr. Wright speak on checkerboarding.
Unfortunately I have lost that notebook and his handout materials.
He is a class act and I would love to know just a fraction of stuff he has
forgotten about bees.

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 08:58:42 pm »
A couple of years back, Walt asked me to collect some data from my hive on a hive-scale after it was checkerboarded.  He actually taught me how to checkerboard, and sent me two shallows (one filled with honey) to checkerboard with.  I'm in the Chicago area.  I can honestly say that I have had some very strong hives come out of winter.  I have yet to have a hive swarm that was checkerboarded.

That checkerboarded hive was the subject of an ABJ article on how I obtained a bunch of black-locust honey.  I think it was August 2012.

Ken

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 09:09:02 pm »
Ken - half asleep when I read your response when I replied. I understand toatlly as in the guy that came over only to try and sell his wax moth remedy. Belive me I remeber it well for other reasons stuck in my craw.... :-x

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 09:26:18 pm »
Unfortunately I have lost that notebook and his handout materials.

Here is where you can replace your material:

Walt Wright; Box 10; Elkton, TN 38455-0010; or WaltWright_ at hotmail dot com (don’t forget the underscore)

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 11:14:02 pm »
Mr Wrights manuscripts are worth the time it takes to read and study. Even if you dont want to checkerboard. You will learn alot of the why's in the beehive.
I use Mr Wrights checkerboard necter management the best I can and I think it has worked for me both as swarm control and increased honey production. I have not perfected his technique in my management yet but getting better.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 11:46:20 pm »
I read his stuff on that other forum a few years ago.  If I ever had a hive come through winter with honey over head I'd employ the technique.  I just don't think I'll ever experience it.  I do believe in nectar management, which I believe is the core of what this is about.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline GLOCK

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 12:17:17 am »
It is called NECTAR MANAGEMENT Principles and Practices. :-D
Say hello to the bad guy.
35hives  {T} OAV

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 12:18:01 am »
I checker board my hives every spring.
The bees do what their suppose to do, bring in pollen and nector and store it.
I checker board to give the queen room to lay.
I do splits at that time also.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 08:15:14 am »
Quote from: capt44 link=topic=43869.msg377558#msg377558 date=1393906681
I checker board to give the queen room to lay.
I do splits at that time also.
[/quote

Number one rule of Chckerboarding, CBing or Nectar management per Walt Wright.... whichever name you prefer to call it
1) It involves no manipulation of brood comb what-so-ever. None- Never-Notta- Zilch. This is where alot of people stray and fail with the system. They adapt their system and not the system Walt endorses. They get swarms and then blame the system.

Long night shift..... time for some zzzzzzzz more later.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 09:10:49 am »
Interesting... I think that Walt checkerboards the supers and the Fat Bee Man checkers the deeps.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
    • RV BEES
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 11:07:06 am »
I checker board the deeps in the spring, which I hope to do next week.
With this cold weather I don't want to mess with the bees housekeeping.
I feel they have it situated to survive cold weather and if I mess with it they might not have time to adapt to the change.
I usually wait for the warmer temps to stabilize.
I've had very good luck expanding the bee population doing this.
Now during a honey flow I will move full frames of honey to the outside of the super and move the empty frames towards the center.
I feel the reason they don't always fill out the outside couple of frames is a temperature issue.
But now this is just the way I do it, doesn't mean it's correct.
I just do what works for me.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 12:27:50 pm »
I checker board the deeps in the spring, which I hope to do next week.
With this cold weather I don't want to mess with the bees housekeeping.
I feel they have it situated to survive cold weather and if I mess with it they might not have time to adapt to the change.
I usually wait for the warmer temps to stabilize.
I've had very good luck expanding the bee population doing this.
Now during a honey flow I will move full frames of honey to the outside of the super and move the empty frames towards the center.
I feel the reason they don't always fill out the outside couple of frames is a temperature issue.
But now this is just the way I do it, doesn't mean it's correct.
I just do what works for me.
[/quote

If I am understanding you correctly you are checkerboarding the broodnest which works for you but has nothing to do with Walt Wright's checkerboarding management.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
    • RV BEES
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 03:40:31 pm »
Well I never heard of Walt Wright before this message got started.
I just checker board my brood boxes in the spring to give the Queen room to lay.
I then during the honey flow will rearrange the frames in my supers.
Moving the full ones out and the empty ones towards the center.
When I add supers I take the full one off and add the empty super then put the full one on top of the empty one.
I've been doing this for several years.

anything