Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What flowers to plant in N.W. Washington that will help bees?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline winenutguy

• House Bee
What flowers to plant in N.W. Washington that will help bees?
« on: September 28, 2008, 12:43:21 am »
Hello all;  I'm a newbie that will have bees next spring.  My wife and I have 5 acres, mostly wooded, in N.W. Washington.  Could I get some advice from some gardeners and bee keepers here in the N.W. concerning flowers that the bees would especially like?  We are planning some landscaping in the spring anyway so I thought it might be nice to give the bees some things they really like.  I'm not trying to make a lot of honey, just give the bees something they really like.  Native to the region would be nice.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you all.  Winenutguy.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: What flowers to plant in N.W. Washington that will help bees?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 07:45:34 am »
The rule I use for bee plants are simple: it must look nice, flower well, attract bees, and have a human food use.  The last is the most important.  If I can't eat it I don't need it.  Feed the bees and the bees feed me.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 01:58:31 pm »
I agree with Brian. Look at the gardening section. There are lots of post on good plants for bees. You just have to look to see what grows in your area. Cindi and others have put a lot of time in gathering and documenting all the plants for bees.

Offline winenutguy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 03:45:33 pm »
Thank you both.  I'll take a look at the gardening section and the things Cindi suggests.  Best, Marc

Offline jojoroxx

• House Bee
  • Northern California Nature Girl
    • SoHumMushers
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 08:48:16 pm »
I don't know about the "must be food rule"...flowers feed my soul.

My faves where I live in the mountains of N. CA: For perennials any fruit tree will do, but if you are limited in space, try raspberries (bees love love love raspberries! It is a plant that multiplies and spreads freely - long season too) and believe it or not, roses! (they must be single or old fashioned)

Annuals that the bees enjoy include sunflowers (...who can't smile, and feel nurtured when in view of these beauties?) clover everywhere and anywhere, now is the time to plant in the west for spring bloom BORAGE too, all herbs;echinacea (make sure it is the brood leaf medicinal sort) mint, thyme, lemon balm especially, and for the fall, the bees absolutely adore zinnias, marigolds, asters and the humble bachelor button.   ADDENDUM: I CAN'T BELIEVE I LEFT OUT COSMOS! They are so easy to grow, they reach over 6' & the bees LOVE 'EM - so good for autumn pollen... 8-)

All of these would thrive in your area I am certain.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:52:16 pm by jojoroxx »

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 10:01:58 pm »
I don't know about the "must be food rule"...flowers feed my soul.

You need feelings and emotions for that, something I lack.  Honest, I suffer from Alexythemia which means I don't experience emotions in the normal sense.
For years it gripped me to no end that people kept saying they felt a certain way when it was obviously just their opinion.

Besides, what feeds my body, feeds my soul.  Tonight it's fresh Italian prunes plucked fresh from the tree.  Tomorrow it's making more Zucchini Relish.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline jojoroxx

• House Bee
  • Northern California Nature Girl
    • SoHumMushers
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:57:33 pm »
You need feelings and emotions for that, something I lack.  Honest, I suffer from Alexythemia which means I don't experience emotions in the normal sense.
Brian we are kindred spirits on opposite ends of the spectrum; My disability? I feel too much!! :'( :-D :-x :oops: :roll: :-\ :shock: :( :) :fishhit:
xxoo