Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from Washington State  (Read 2290 times)

Offline jerryc

• New Bee
Hi from Washington State
« on: March 01, 2007, 03:18:21 am »
My name is Jerry. I'm in "Rural Southwest Washington" My grandad had bees so I know a little (very little) about what is entailed. I thought this would be cool since it's something I've always been fond of. I looked into it a little with the state. This is probably the wrong place to post this, but is anybody here from WA? I need help/advice on working through all the maze of Registration, Inspections, Inspectors, Licensed Apiary, and all the other stuff the state guy threw at me a mile a minute. It sounds like there is a lot of paperwork involved but they were out of the Application forms.
Moderator: If some of this doesn't belong here, feel free to edit it. I not only won't mind, I appreciate the learning. :D

In the meantime,,I'll go back to browsing the forum. Lots of interesting stuff here...
Jerry

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Hi from Washington State
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 07:35:06 am »
Welcome aboard.
Start reading here:
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Paraplegic Racehorse

• House Bee
  • Kilted beekeepers unite!
    • Me Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 09:38:02 pm »
Hi, JerryC.

Welcome to the forums.

I grew up and first worked as an assistant beekeeper in SW WA (based in W. Richland). I now live and work in Alaska, so I doubt I can be much help for your area anymore.

Probably the best thing to do is look for a local beekeeper's association AND talk to the people at the Cooperative Extension Service, probably nearest at WSU in Pullman, though there may be an office at WSU-Richland or maybe even in Walla Walla.

Also, e-mail seems to me the best way to talk to those people who love to rattle off stuff faster than you could possibly remember them. Not only can you read at your own pace, but you can archive it for future reference. Good luck with your regulators! Glad we don't much of that mess up here...  8-)
I'm Paraplegic Racehorse.
Member in good standing: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994

The World Beehive Project - I endeavor to build at least one of every beehive in common use today and document the entire process.

Offline jerryc

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 11:41:21 pm »
Thanks for the good idea. I didn't even think about WSU. I went there in the mid 90's.
Jerry

Offline Paraplegic Racehorse

• House Bee
  • Kilted beekeepers unite!
    • Me Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 12:37:04 am »
Heh. Oops. I got East and West mixed up. I grew up and worked in East WA.

Anyway, yeah, WSU or EWU are probably good places to check with.
I'm Paraplegic Racehorse.
Member in good standing: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994

The World Beehive Project - I endeavor to build at least one of every beehive in common use today and document the entire process.