Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Comings and Goings.......  (Read 1522 times)

Offline wharfrat

• House Bee
Comings and Goings.......
« on: June 24, 2009, 10:41:31 am »
Man my bees are moving this morning...by 7am, there appeared to be an exchange rate of approx 300 bees per minute!

So that brings me to questions for you experienced guys.....

I know that the exchange rate is largely a function of colony size...I wonder how many bees I have in that hive?

Is the exchange rate also dependent on the flow?? Do you think they are currently on a real pig out mission??
(I checked my honey supers last week...and was actually thinking the flow was light?)

Will I see a reduction in the exchange rate during a real dearth of resources??

If the bees are traveling some distance from the hive to forage....is there a general of average time for each of their missions??

Does it take longer for them to collect pollen or nectar??

I love this board....thanks. :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Comings and Goings.......
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 10:58:08 am »
Have your supers ready to go in a super flow! Stay ahead of them.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 03:31:02 pm »
Man my bees are moving this morning...by 7am, there appeared to be an exchange rate of approx 300 bees per minute!

So that brings me to questions for you experienced guys.....

I know that the exchange rate is largely a function of colony size...I wonder how many bees I have in that hive?

Is the exchange rate also dependent on the flow?? Do you think they are currently on a real pig out mission??
(I checked my honey supers last week...and was actually thinking the flow was light?)

Will I see a reduction in the exchange rate during a real dearth of resources??

If the bees are traveling some distance from the hive to forage....is there a general of average time for each of their missions??

Does it take longer for them to collect pollen or nectar??

I love this board....thanks. :-D

You best look to see if you have any room in there,if not add a super. You can have 60 to 80 thousand bees in a hive. A strong hive will have a bee coming and going each second.That's 120. You need two lg.bodies and a super,maybe two supers or three if two are full.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline wharfrat

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 04:36:37 pm »
I'm tellin ya....at peak exchange....300 bees per minute...that's 18000 exchanges per hour!! 5 bees leaving and 5 bees coming home...every second... they are quite busy.

My single hive is 2 extremely healthy looking medium supers as the brood area... I should go in again soon..but I recently added a medium super with wax foundation directly above it...the queen can expand up if she needs too...but I hope they are filling it with honey. above that one which was new a week ago...I have one more medium that is maybe 50%full of capped honey..

I think the massive activity right now could be related to a strong abelia bloom that I am looking for information on..and created another post...

Anyway, I was starting to think that I would be lucky to pull any honey for myself this year...I started the hive in June last year and didn't take any.. With the way the girls are rocking..I have become much more positive today! What is the quickest anyone has ever had an undrawn medium filled??

Thanks!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 05:26:44 pm »
I've had ten frame mediums drawn, filled and capped in five days.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com