Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Split or leave alone?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline charles

• House Bee
Split or leave alone?
« on: May 06, 2009, 11:01:14 am »
Got two strong colonies; one I have just convinced not to supercede. Both were installed from nucs about 5 weeks ago and are already drawing comb in a super.

There sure seem to be a bunch hanging out on the entrance. I wouldn't call it bearding, exactly. But it is alarming to see so many bees, especially nearing dusk, outside the hive. I checked them out last night near the end of dusk, and one of the hives sounded like an airplane engine. They weren't defensive. Just REALLY loud. The queen is right, though it was too dark to see any eggs. Plenty of capped brood, though. I saw one uncapped Q cell close to the bottom, but only one.

I really want to grow my apiary, so I fight the temptation daily to split this hive. But they are just starting to work that super and the deep box is jammed full.

Is this normal evening agitation at being disturbed, or is this an eminent swarm?
4 hives

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: Split or leave alone?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:34:21 am »
sounds like a strong hive fanning for air circulation.
you might want to add a box of foundation just above the brood box and under the honey supers.
this will give them more room to expand without swarming and keep your honey production up.

you can split after the flow and get some good queens without impacting you honey production and still grow your hive numbers.

the bees hanging out just before dark are the foragers, i like seeing this in my hives! it means the hive is kicking!

just be sure to add boxes fast enough to stay ahead of the swarming instinct
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Split or leave alone?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 11:39:23 am »
Bees tend to build numerous cell "cups" at the bottom of the frame.
Most time all these will be the same size. Once you find a cup/cell in the process of being built for a queen it  are easy to see the difference.
thought I'd throw this in. :)doak