Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeding sugar water  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Eugene Willson

• New Bee
  • Another glorious day in paradise
feeding sugar water
« on: November 01, 2015, 07:04:39 pm »
 Hi all,
Does anyone know how long it takes sugar water stored by the bees to be dry enough to cap? I know it depends on humidity and temp but was just trying to get an idea on how long until the water in the hive is back to normal for the winter. I am in Iowa and it is going to be 70 during the day for the next week. Odd fall weather here.
Thanks
Gene
There is no such thing as a free lunch.
 R Heinlein

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
Re: feeding sugar water
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 08:02:58 pm »
Lovely weather aye?
   I have seen frames capped in two weeks, and I have seen frames uncapped after a month..  It will also depend somewhat on how thick your syrup is. 2/1 or thicker will take less time for them to dehydrate. I fed up until a week ago, but as you stated, I am considering adding a bit more to the hives that are still a bit light....
   If I do, and they dont cap it in time, it will add extra moisture to the hive as a whole...   In that situation, having an upper vent becomes more important!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:30:38 pm »
Like OldMech said, it depends.
I had frames in my observation hive for 2 months that they never capped more than a few cells. It depends on the weather. It was a very rainy spring and summer here. Both times that I pulled honey, I had to leave more frames than I took because they were not capped.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 09:40:02 am »
It will depend on the thickness of the syrup, the ambient temperature, the outside humidity, the strength of the colony and how much available comb they have..
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 10:07:36 am »
I had someone tell me that feeding 2:1 too late into the season will cause dysentery in bees. How true is that?
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 06:57:28 pm »
The way I understand it - Not.

Syrup feeding may cause excess moisture in the fall/winter hive if they don't have the time & weather to cure & cap it.

Feeding a pollen sub is the culprit when it comes to dysentery. The protein in pollen subs cause them to need to "poop", and if they don't have weather for cleansing flights, dysentery may follow. It's not so much an issue if they can get out even once every 2-3 weeks.
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline Eugene Willson

• New Bee
  • Another glorious day in paradise
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 07:29:27 pm »
Thanks for all the info , and yes it is glorious weather here, can I have more please?
I assume the larger the amount of bees, the faster the drying time. 
I mixed my fall sugar water as thick as it would go on the idea that less water is better.
Today I had a orientation flight from one of my hives, fun to watch.
Have a great day!
Gene

There is no such thing as a free lunch.
 R Heinlein

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 07:33:51 am »
>I had someone tell me that feeding 2:1 too late into the season will cause dysentery in bees. How true is that?

Not.  But feeding too late will cause moisture issues.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 11:06:28 am »
If I am feeding later in the fall, or even during a warm stretch of winter, I use a very thick sugar syrup. At least 3 parts sugar to 1 part water. I use an bucket feeder, and the girls love it. Haven't seen any problems with it yet. Of course, it's only been two winters.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 02:43:02 pm »
a thin follower board both sides if the hive can help exhaust the excessive moisture in a controlled fashion.
and off the frames

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 05:31:57 pm »
a thin follower board both sides if the hive can help exhaust the excessive moisture in a controlled fashion.
and off the frames

Can you explain that?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 08:24:39 pm »
Inside feeder vs out side feeder. Is the moisture effect any different? dd,d2

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 02:56:50 am »
and off the frames

Can you explain that?

The Idea is that the cooler air between the wall and follower will create a down draft to circulate and  vent. Moisture may also condense and freeze in that outside space in winter...  so long as its not dripping on the bees its good. A small upepr vent is cheaper, easier and quicker in my oppinion... but there are many that do NOT like the idea of an upper entrance to "release" the warm air.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 10:59:43 am »
Thanks, OldMech.  I guess that makes sense.  Agree with you about top vent.  MB has top entrances, so I guess he has top "vents" and seems to do okay.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 05:02:34 pm »
The proof is always in the pudding, as the saying goes. If you have live bees come spring, you either have very good bees or you did something right.  Some folks like top entrances or vents, others swear it will kill your bees. I have seen fellows SWEAR that you would have dead bees if you didnt shovel them out of the snow drift.. to the point of violence even...   I have never done so, and I know many whos hives are quite literally buried by the end of December and dont see the light of day till March...  so as I said, the proof is in the pudding. if it WORKS for you, and you have live bees... I dont think theres much to argue about.  :cheesy:

anything