Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New from south Texas.  (Read 3621 times)

Offline NotactJack

• House Bee
New from south Texas.
« on: March 30, 2013, 06:58:54 am »
I'm just starting from scratch. I'm a avid home brewer and cyclist. I'm also a amateur welder and woodworker. I started making mead and researching honey. That's about it. I built 2 TBH and 3 swarm traps. I've got a friend that owns an abandoned house with a hive located in it. This hive is at least 5 years old.

I've done two cut outs. The first all the bees left after being harassed by ants. And the second I didn't get enough bees before the exterminator was called to spray. So they were very weak. Then I see a ton of them died in the motor oil moat I put to keep
 The ants away. I'm pretty sure they are dead too. Well I have a package from rweaver and a queen coming. I also have a line on one more cut out.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:21:10 am by NotactJack »
facebook.com/laredobees

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -Mark Twain

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: New from south Texas.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 10:48:12 am »
Welcome to the forum, NotactJack.  There are lots of threads and videos here that can help.  You may want to check into a local bee club.  And put your location, south Texas is a good size place.  Good luck with your bees

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 12:17:47 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 01:06:13 pm »
Welcome to the bee forum Jack.

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:44:38 pm »
Welcome to the place for all things bee.  How far South are you?

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 10:00:43 pm »
Welcome!

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline NotactJack

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 05:16:27 am »
Laredo, Texas actually. Which stinks because this area used to be known for growning onions and cantalope. Now no one grows anything its all deer hunting leases.

I have two packages coming. Italians from Pigeon Mountain and All American from Rweaver (italian hybrid). Also a queen that I'm going to use for my next cut out.

I have ordered 1 Langstroth and I built 2 48" TBH and 3 TBH nuc boxes. I am thinking about building some nuc boxes that take lang frames.
facebook.com/laredobees

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -Mark Twain

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 06:48:57 am »
What do they plant for deer forage? I'm sure that aceage has something blooming and may be more diverse than just onions and cantaloupe. It may be a good thing as far as honey flavors and bee health.

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 07:16:46 pm »
Welcome to the forum.....and enjoy the adventure of beekeeping.
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline NotactJack

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 01:14:46 am »
What do they plant for deer forage? I'm sure that aceage has something blooming and may be more diverse than just onions and cantaloupe. It may be a good thing as far as honey flavors and bee health.

Unfortunately they don't use food plots. It's all done with corn deer feeders. I had a buddy pay 3k for a hunting lease. He told me he spent 6k feeding him. Most what grows out here is cactus and brush. It's mesquite trees and prickly pear cactus.
facebook.com/laredobees

Offline txbeegal

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 11:31:29 am »
Welcome neighbor.  Well, sort of, we all know how big Texas is.  That is why we need more bees:) 
Life is too short not to be a beekeeper:)

Offline REDBEE

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 06:14:12 pm »
Mesquite trees makes a mild white honey that is sought after by many and lots of it.

Offline NotactJack

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 07:08:43 pm »
Oh yeah a mesquite varietal sounds great. I'm really excited for prickly pear cactus honey. I love the jams the tunas make.
facebook.com/laredobees

Offline yanta61

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 12:25:24 pm »
just got a call from a lady in Laredo needing a cutout done.  I'll send you a PM with her number if you want

Offline txbeegal

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 04:02:38 pm »
This will be my first honey harvest, (hopefully) and we have dewberries and lots and lots of mesquite around us.  I can't wait to see what it looks and tastes like.:)
Life is too short not to be a beekeeper:)

Offline NotactJack

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 08:25:40 am »
Thanks for the job. I'll call her in the morning and maybe I can house some new bees.
facebook.com/laredobees