Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: EZ Frames from Dadant - any users???  (Read 8659 times)

Offline Gena

• New Bee
EZ Frames from Dadant - any users???
« on: May 16, 2008, 02:23:19 am »
I've been using ALL medium frames/supers - many of the frames have plasticell - SO - are the EZ Frames from Dadant all that great??  Are they 'long lasting and sturdy"? or do the bees not like them - tell me what you know...
   your friend, Gena ;)

Offline metzelplex

• New Bee
Re: EZ Frames from Dadant - any users???
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 03:03:31 am »
  I bought some nucs last year that had a couple of e-z frames in them they were drawn out just like the rest of the frames in the box the bees didn't seem to mind I don't know how long it took them to draw out because when I got them they were already drawn I think they work fine .I've heard that if the bees don't take to the e-z frames right away you can put extra wax on them and that helps I know it's not much help but thats all I can tell you. hope it helps      Metzelplex

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:18:06 am »
I've been using ALL medium frames/supers - many of the frames have plasticell - SO - are the EZ Frames from Dadant all that great??  Are they 'long lasting and sturdy"? or do the bees not like them - tell me what you know...
   your friend, Gena ;)

They are advertised as durable, long lasting frames. I would agree with that. Your bees may take just fine to them. I've had bees that took fine to plasticell, some that were more picky.

I still use plasticell that's wax coated in honey supers and it works fine.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 09:24:37 am »
I think that in general, the bees don't prefer the plastic foundation.  But if that is their only choice, then they will use it fine, although maybe draw it out a little slower.  And once it used, it is good for them next time, even if you scrape the wax.

You just don't want to mix the undrawn frames with wax foundation, or use queen excluders before its drawn, and you probably need to bait them up into a box of plastic foundation.  Once its drawn its as good as any other comb.

For me the benefits and cost outweigh the negative side effects.

Rick
Rick

Offline Gena

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:32:23 pm »
Hey - thanks for the replies - It can't be than much different from the plasticell.  I had used my crock pot, some wax and a trim roller to add extra wax to some Plasticell that I pressure washed. 

You just don't want to mix the undrawn frames with wax foundation, or use queen excluders before its drawn, and you probably need to bait them up into a box of plastic foundation.  Once its drawn its as good as any other comb

Explain what you mean by baiting.

JP- thanks for reply.
I might try a medium or two - I don't want to slow them down too much!!

your friend,   Gena  ;)

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:36:37 pm »
I had a problem with them "taking " to plastic foundation. i put a couple of coats of wax on them and the bees drew them out in less than a week amazing what a little wax can do

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 07:53:01 pm »
The issue to me is cell size.  Dadant's plastic is 5.4mm.   Mann Lakes are various sizes, but their PF100 and PF120's are 4.95mm and that's more what I want.  The Mann Lake PF120's (mediums) are only $0.99 each.  They probably aren't durable, but for that price, and at that cell size they are very useful and acceptance has been excellent.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Gena

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 01:36:21 am »
Thank you for all of your replies/input.  I'm not sure what to do - I might experiment. 
   Michael - can you give me a thread to Mann Lake.  I've been using the Dadant Plasticell and the catalog doesn't mention cell size.  Can I use a 4.9 from Mann Lake when I've been using the larger?? What happens if I mix cell sizes - sound like a disaster...  Thanks for moving to the write topic heading.  :-\
      your friend, Gena

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 08:55:01 am »
Thank you for all of your replies/input.  I'm not sure what to do - I might experiment. 
   Michael - can you give me a thread to Mann Lake.  I've been using the Dadant Plasticell and the catalog doesn't mention cell size.  Can I use a 4.9 from Mann Lake when I've been using the larger?? What happens if I mix cell sizes - sound like a disaster...  Thanks for moving to the write topic heading.  :-\
      your friend, Gena

Sorry, I'm not M.B., just an imposter. :-D link to Mannlake: http://www.mannlakeltd.com/

You may get acceptance issues with different size cell, confuse the bees, they will not draw some frames out or correctly, one big mess.

I still use wax coated plasticell but only in the honey supers.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 07:31:00 am »
>I've been using the Dadant Plasticell and the catalog doesn't mention cell size.

It's 5.4mm.  Mostly no one mentions cell size...

>  Can I use a 4.9 from Mann Lake when I've been using the larger??

Yes.

>What happens if I mix cell sizes - sound like a disaster...

Bees mix cell sizes all the time...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin