Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is bearding a cause for alarm? pics included  (Read 1751 times)

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
Is bearding a cause for alarm? pics included
« on: July 11, 2013, 12:32:29 am »
Hello all -

Once again this year I have a serious bearding problem.  The bees are literally covering the entire bottom board as well as 85% of the front of the lowest deep - this bearding is easily an inch deep with bees. 

I have a top entrance as well as a screened bottom board.  The bees have ample space and are not crowded however they may be having a problem getting up to the supers due to the honey and brood in the bottom two deeps. 

All of my hives have varying degrees of bearding however this is the worst one.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Is bearding a cause for alarm? pics included
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 12:52:37 am »
Have you given enough room to your bees?
How full nectar are your combs?
Have you inspected queen cells?
What kind of carpet of bees covers combs?
Have you extracted capped honey?
Language barrier NOT included

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 01:13:03 am »
Have you given enough room to your bees?
How full nectar are your combs?
Have you inspected queen cells?
What kind of carpet of bees covers combs?
Have you extracted capped honey?
Have you given enough room to your bees? - I have added supers to all that have drawn comb out on 8 of the 10 deep or medium frames.  I believe they have enough room given they have not filled the comb with honey and in some cases have not drawn out the frames completely
How full nectar are your combs? - They are getting relatively full and are starting to become capped
Have you inspected queen cells? - Yes I have done inspections and have not found any queen cells. 
What kind of carpet of bees covers combs?  There are a lot of bees covering the frames of comb.  In most cases the bees are 75% covering over half of the frames.  In the few others there are less bees however several frames in each box full of bees.
Have you extracted capped honey? -  I have not extracted any honey as of yet.  I have been adding supers.  Only two of the 8 hives have now 2 supers - the others are either not full enough yet or in one case they have not nearly enough bees to justify adding a super. 

The bees don't seem to be crowded however there seems to be a lot of young bees that are not yet ready to forage and are just hanging out on the side of the box.  This is at all times of day.  The pics I attached were taken a few moments prior to posting the question. 

David

Offline gdog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:14:45 am »
My experience with this just last week was, I had about three pounds of bees bearding. I asked questions to see if they were going to swarm or if more room was needed.

A reply from Finski was that they needed more room. I did a check and found them to be honey bound so I took ten frames from them. That put them in a better place and took care of the bearding issue. This is what worked for me.

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 01:21:23 am »
Perhaps I'll pull the full super off and replace it with an empty one - then see what happens.  I would really like the bees to be out foraging and not relaxing on the facade all day.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 01:28:49 am »
Perhaps I'll pull the full super off and replace it with an empty one - then see what happens. 

It is only way to get beard off and put them work. And perhap put 2 boxes. One perhaps does not give enough space to them.

And put the empty combs over the brood.

Language barrier NOT included

anything