Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving a hive  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
Moving a hive
« on: March 22, 2005, 05:01:41 pm »
I have to move 2 colonies approximately 15 feet and also move 2 other colonies approximately 150'.
I really hate the thought of moving all 4 over two miles away and then relocating them back 2 weeks later to the new spot (Yes, I read the book and now I need to know a way to cheat).
Any ideas?  1' each day might work for the short distance.
"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Moving a hive
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 06:02:04 pm »
if it is still really cold out and the bees havent come out yet you can completely close up the enterance and move them. When they come back out latter in this spring they will just start their observations again and will do fine, bye  :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Moving a hive
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 09:51:52 pm »
The 15 footer you could move slowly to their new location, say a foot at a time.

With the other 2, you could try moving then and then placing some brush over the front of the entrances for a couple of days.  This will cause some confusion on the bees part as they leave and they will reassociate themselves.  I think that it is questionable at this distance though, and would recommend moving them the 2 miles, or wait until next winter.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Moving a hive
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 11:00:46 pm »
On a related note:  when you do a split (like to produce comb honey), how far away is enough to locate the the hive containing the queen and house bees?

-- Kris

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Moving a hive
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 11:16:00 pm »
I don't think the 2 miles will work. These bees I got Sunday from a pump house walls were a little over three miles away. I just now went and bee-vaced a good sized bunch out of the pump house that had returned. Only way I know to discribe the size of the bunch is about three soft balls.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Moving a hive
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 10:28:03 am »
Quote from: Kris^
On a related note:  when you do a split (like to produce comb honey), how far away is enough to locate the the hive containing the queen and house bees?

-- Kris

It is not critcal, because you want the field bees to return to the original loaction.  As the house bees become field bees,  they will associate themselves with the new location.   I usually put them back to back, that way I can recombine them in the fall if needed.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Anonymous

Moving a hive
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 10:56:07 am »
:) I've had very good luck moving hives less than 100 feet by doint the move in the evening while they are all inside then stuffing grass in the entrancce not completly closeing it by enought they have to climb thru and over it to get out. I even stuff the grass in the entrance if I move them miles from the orignial location.
 :D Al