Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Other Pollinators  (Read 3750 times)

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Other Pollinators
« on: June 11, 2007, 12:46:29 am »
How much emphases do you put on plants that Bees might not like but Butterflies and Hummingbirds might. Bumble bees too. The way I see it, some of these other pollinators are attracted by different plants but also enjoy plants your bees will too. Honey Bees aren't working these flowers all the time so why not help out the plants by including other pollinators?

Discuss.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Other Pollinators
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 06:05:56 am »
Red clover is one of those.  The bumble bees love it.  The bees could care less.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 10:30:48 am »
Our lavender seems to attract everything.

Mark

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 10:48:40 am »
I wonder what my bees are up to.  We are finishing up the raspberry flowering.  I have looked and looked and looked.  I have not yet to see a honeybee on them.  It is the bumblebees and syrphid flies.  I was really quite shocked.  There must be other crops the bees are after.

I have many things that "other pollinators" and bumblebees love that the honeybees don't care a hoot about.  Yes, the big clover, columbine, comfrey, I grow these en masse, I figure the more the bumblebees have to forage on, the more the bees will have to forage on that the bumblees like too.

My borage and phacelia are beginning to open their flowers, they will be continuing to bloom all summer long.  Setting seed that germinates and carries on the blooming period.  These are extremely high nectar/pollen producing plants and all pollinators love these plants to death.  The anise hyssop should be coming into flower in mid July.  I have the annual anise and the perennial, two totally looking different plants.  I will post pictures when they come into bloom.  Bring on the plants for our pollinators!!!!  Have a wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 01:22:46 pm »
I have had anise hyssops before really good bees love it for sure
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 02:34:28 pm »

What I believe to be a Monarch Butterfly landed on my butterfly bush a few days ago. It didn't stay long enough for me to get a better shot though.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 10:51:07 pm »
MrILoveTheAnts.  What a shot!!!!  You must have been quick enough though, with camera in hand, to get this shot.  What a beauty!!!!  I love to have my camera around me when I am outside working the land, the mysteries of nature are the most beautiful thing on this earth.  Have a wonderful day, great life, keep on keepin' on.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 11:16:50 pm »
OOOHHH definitely a Monarch...Monarchs arrive here en masse...

Monarch Butterfly Natural Preserve/Natural Bridges Sanat Cruz
The park's Monarch Grove provides a temporary home for over 100,000 Monarchs each winter. From mid-October through the end of February, the Monarchs form a "city in the trees." The areas mild ocean air and eucalyptus grove provide a safe roost until spring. In the spring and summer, the butterflies live in the valley regions west of the Rocky Mountains where milkweed, the only plant a Monarch caterpillar eats, is plentiful.

The Monarch Grove has been declared a Natural Preserve, thus protecting the Monarchs and their winter habitat from human encroachment or harm. This is the only State Monarch Preserve in California. Access to the preserve area is limited to a handicap accessible boardwalk and observation area.

Monarchs begin arriving in October and most are gone by the first week of March. The grove contains eucalyptus trees which are located in a canyon, providing the Monarch needed shelter from the wind. These winter flowering trees are also a convenient food source for the butterfly. On chilly days when the temperature drops below 60 degrees, the butterflies cluster together in the eucalyptus trees for warmth.

The park maintains a demonstration milkweed patch where visitors may view Monarch eggs, caterpillars and chrysalides. For about half a year, milkweed is the Monarch's home, super market and maternity ward. The Monarch larva eats only the milkweed plant.

Tours
Docent-led butterfly, tidepool and nature trail tours are available. Large groups should reserve beach use and tours by phone at least 2 weeks in advance. Special event reservations should be made at least 1 month in advance.

Visitors can view the over-wintering Monarchs by walking down the park's wheelchair and stroller-accessible boardwalk to an observation deck in the eucalyptus grove.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 11:24:00 pm »
Sharon, wow!!!!  The Monarch's are really a beautiful insect for surely.  We have many of the Swallow Tail (think that is what they are called) Butterfly, so pretty and they are with us from the beginning of May to the end of September, then gone with the wind, to return the following spring.

Do you live in a place that has nice weather year round?  Sounds like it, would be very nice to have these beautiful creatures all year long.  Have a wonderful day, and the greatest of life.  Cindi

anything