Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: OkieQueenBee from Stillwater, OK  (Read 6147 times)

Offline okiequeenbee

• New Bee
OkieQueenBee from Stillwater, OK
« on: February 07, 2009, 06:07:01 pm »
What have I got myself into?

It all started innocently enough, sitting at the Farmers' Market talking with the local beekeeper.  He had a few dozen jars of honey to sell and I had a few extra veggies, so I would share his table and listen to his stories.  As the years went by his eyesight began to fail, and he needed someone to drive him to his apiaries.  Being the good mother that I was I suggested that my boys would love to help him.  That worked well for about 3 years until things like sports and girls became more important.  So what to do now?  Couldn't do without that sweet golden honey, so I put on a hood and a pair of gloves and when we opened the top on that first box of bees and they all came to the top smiling at me saying, "welcome to our world."  I was hooked.  That was 6 years ago.  My mentor, who is now 83, had 30 hives at that time and we are up to around 90 now.  My goal is to have 100.  Am I crazy or what?
Today, I see Life as my eyes have never seen it before - and, OH, how they shine.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: OkieQueenBee from Stillwater, OK
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 06:31:51 pm »
Asking a bunch of crazy people to answer if your crazy, is.....well plum crazy!  :devilbanana:

Welcome to the forum.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 09:47:44 pm »
hey I seen you found us. Welcome to the board let the fun begin :-D
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:13:30 pm »
Glad to see you made the trip. Welcome. Always good to advance yourself.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 11:32:09 pm »
Hello and Welcome Okiequeenbee
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline okiequeenbee

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 12:10:32 am »
well, you know what they say about sinking ships......  :-X

This looks to be a good place - lots of familiar names, and many new ones to meet.

Fun ! ? !  Can we do that here?   :-D

Rat - I was thinking I could use a chaperone - not a videographer!  :shock:
Today, I see Life as my eyes have never seen it before - and, OH, how they shine.

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 08:54:49 am »
well, you know what they say about sinking ships......  :-X

Rat - I was thinking I could use a chaperone - not a videographer!  :shock:

your wish is my command. I got a leprachan neighbor that lives in a small tree The meeting is in march and he does grant wishes so I will bring him along for you to have a chaperone ;)
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 10:43:30 am »
Hey Okiequeenbee, welcome to beemaster! I like your story. How are the boys doing in the girls department? remind them that honey catches the honeys if they're going through a dry spell, gotta get them kids back to beekeeping!

Glad you're here.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 12:39:57 pm »
You sound familiar... don't I know you from another uh, yeah that's it!  Hive!  Your that Cordovan queen!  Cordovan's are purdy.  :lol:

Better keep an eye on your chaperon, at 5' 2", Rat is a little too tall for a Leprecon, and with that toothy smile he has I know he could chew his way out of the closet.

Welcome aboard and see you in a couple of weeks!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 01:03:21 pm »
OakieQueenBee, welcome to our forum, so nice that you have found us. Boy, oh boy, did you ever fall under the spell of the honeybee that day when you donned hood and gloves to peak into their secret world, gotcha!!!  This will be a place where you can tell your stories, tales and experiences, make new friends, ask questions.  We love to listen.  Stick around.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, attract and keep great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 09:18:59 am »
Okie you dont by chance have a few hives inside eskimo joes. Your Bee truck sure is parked out front a lot :-D

Offline okiequeenbee

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 11:51:39 am »
Now, now Rat - you know on those hot, sticky days a nice, cool refreshing beverage is always welcome.   :cheer:   
And I have chased more than one swarm down Elm Street.

Offline Derek

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 01:57:04 am »
Pokies in the front....well you know the rest.... ;)

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 09:06:25 am »
You dont by chance have a wall at the football stadium that accidently says OU in the brick work do you  :evil: :-D

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 03:55:56 pm »
All I know to do if you know the rat is to offer you comfort> :-D  Welcome aboard!

Offline okiequeenbee

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 07:16:12 pm »
Pokies in the front....well you know the rest.... ;)

So you've been invited to Stan's parties in the back room, have you?   :piano:

You dont by chance have a wall at the football stadium that accidently says OU in the brick work do you  :evil: :-D

The story goes that he was made to remove it brick by brick, using a hammer and chisel, while listening to TB Pickens sing praises of his beloved Gundy and the OSU Cowboys!   :whip:

All I know to do if you know the rat is to offer you comfort> :-D  Welcome aboard!

You're not the first person to tell me that   -   now, I'm really looking forward to meeting the Rat.   :-D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 11:14:56 pm »
>Am I crazy or what?

Yes.  And you've come to the right place.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BarneyG

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 04:39:53 pm »
wlecome okiequeenbee to the forums , this is one great place !  i'll be moving down to your neck of the woods soon ! to howard or sedan Kansas area not to far away  have a great day ! again welcome  Barney
Barney

Offline BarneyG

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 05:02:12 pm »
Browning cut stock phone # 208-276-3494  westernbee inc.  1-800-548-8440
Barney

anything