Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "nucs" and catching swarms  (Read 2529 times)

Offline bozbee

• New Bee
"nucs" and catching swarms
« on: April 18, 2007, 12:33:22 pm »
Just starting out folks, 2 stands full of working bees, 2 shallow supers w/10 frames a piece. I'm getting 2 more supers this evening. I understand that I will need at least 2 supers per. My question is i really don't understand the concept of a "nuc". Is this just used to capture a swarm? Do I need a spare stand for any swarm that might be captured? How do i use the "nuc" to capure a swarm and do i keep them in it or use it as a transporter?
I know, a lot of questions. i have been reading this forum and other websites. Thanks for any info.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: "nucs" and catching swarms
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 01:03:46 pm »
A nuc (nucleous hive) is a small hive. It can hold anywheres from 2 to 8 frames in a super that is reduced in size to enable the bees to keep warm. They have numerous uses. they can hold a swrm if captured. Often used to aid in swarm prevention, banking queens, starting a hive from a split, aiding in an apiary by having backup queens.The list goes on. Basically, its a starter hive.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline vabeeguy

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 01:21:17 pm »
It's not a bad idea to have an empty nuc or hive around with frames and foundation. I was caught once with neither and sure enough I had a swarm in the back yard. I had to wire frames into a cardboard box and keep the bees in it until a got a hive. They didn't seem to mind to much, the queen started laying and today it's one of my strongest hives, but I won't be short handed on equipment again, that's for sure.

Offline bozbee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 01:36:37 pm »
Thanks fellers, for the last 30minutes I've been checking out bee swarm capturing videos from "youtube". They give a lot of spin off videos for different aspects of the business. Good to see it on video other than just reaing.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 10:20:06 pm »

Offline bozbee

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 12:24:36 pm »
Thanks everyone! Buzzbee appreciate the link on the videos.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 03:20:46 pm »
A nuc can be how you buy bees (usually four or five frames  with a queen) or it can be the box you put them in.  The box can be used for many things including splits, queen rearing etc.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnucs.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin