Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Corralitos, CA  (Read 2166 times)

Offline jpryce

• New Bee
Hello from Corralitos, CA
« on: September 23, 2009, 07:09:04 pm »
Hi there,
  I'm just reading up trying to learn as much as I can before I dive into beekeeping.  I've been interested in keeping bees for years and picked up Beekeeping for Dumbies and have been reading up.  I joined the local guild and plan on attending the next meeting.  I'd like to buy an existing hive and just transfer it to our property, are there any reasons to start from scratch vs buying existing hives?
Thanks so much,
Julie

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
Re: Hello from Corralitos, CA
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:43:12 pm »
Hello and Welcome Julie. I started from scratch and I believe you learn more.
Bobby

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:45:23 pm »
Hello and Welcome Julie
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny

Offline jpryce

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 11:15:29 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome.  I can't wait to read and learn more.
~Julie

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 12:19:02 am »
Hello Julie

My name is Annette and I live in Placerville California, Above Sacramento. I started beekeeping in April 2006 with one hive. Now I have 4 hives.  It has been quite an interesting adventure these few years.  I absolutely love taking care of the bees and I am totally committed to doiing whatever is necessary to help them. I have had my share of problems with them,  but I have learned so, so much these past few years. I have gotten all the help I need right here on this forum.  I am beekeeping all by myself and have had to handle every single situation alone.  I never could have gotten through it without this forum.

Your climate is much different than mine. I believe you will enjoy beekeeping down near Santa Cruz and will get lots of honey.

Take care and just keep reading, reading and following the forum.  I learn something new every single day on this forum.

Sincerely
Annette

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 03:40:03 pm »
Welcome to the Forum Julie! You will meet many wonderful and experienced people. As far as Hives I'm leaning toward New hives which we will pick up in October. You might check with your local Club about there upcoming meetings and shops to which many beek suppliers attend and would possibly bring any items you need to order with them to the meetings in order to save you any shipping costs. That's what we are doing. It was awful how much it would cost to ship two hives. Anyhow, have fun and enjoy!

Offline jpryce

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 05:37:05 pm »
Thankyou everyone for all the tips.  I've been reading Beekeeping for Dummies and this forum and finally after two weeks of research feel like I'm starting to get a grasp on all the things I need to do before I dive in. 

Thanks again,
Julie

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 10:46:44 am »
Julie, welcome to our forum, great you found us.  That is wonderful that you are studying about the bees so deeply, keep it up.  Lean on us.  We will help you as much as you need, you will have mountains of questions, and they will all be answered.  We are a group of people that love to listen and offer help and advice when asked.  This will be a place where you will make some new friends, a place to tell you stories, tales and experiences, we love new members -- stick around.  Have that most awesomely wonderful and great day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything