Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question for JP  (Read 3268 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Question for JP
« on: March 22, 2012, 09:25:49 pm »
Hey JP,
How come all your cutouts look so easy. Easy access, no hidden areas, etc. Do you just not post videos of those ones, or do we just have obstinate bees up north?!

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
Re: Question for JP
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 11:04:27 pm »
I vote for obstinate bees!!  the only two cutouts I have been contacted for (in PA) were challenges.  Or maybe they just need warm tucked away places to hang their hats since it is colder up here.   :-D
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 01:47:36 am »
Well I can tell y'all that thoseobstinate bees are not confined to the north only.  I have encountered plenty of them in Texas
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline SerenityApiaries

• House Bee
    • Swarm List - West Coast Beekeepers
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 01:58:56 am »
Lol.. I can say one video of JPs that I watched was when him and Schawee had to remove the bees from the Fed Ex parking lot. 7 colonies in one day seems to be a pretty big job. I think I have managed to watch all the videos and have learned quite a bit from it. As everyone says on the videos though.. Its time JP started filming for the Animal Planet or Discovery Channel. The cutout I did recently just happened to be in a brick chimney. Not really a cut out but a chip out since I had to chip the mortar and save the bricks.

Khalen
Check out West Coast Beekeepers on FB. A great place for Beekeepers along the west coast of America. All are welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/westcoastbeekeepers

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 02:30:50 pm »
Hey JP,
How come all your cutouts look so easy. Easy access, no hidden areas, etc. Do you just not post videos of those ones, or do we just have obstinate bees up north?!

Easy access? I guess that would have a lot to do with our building construction, but what do you call easy access. I do quite a few that are between stucco & plaster. Have to cut sheetrock & plaster, then either metal or wood lathe. I've done a good handful I've had to remove bricks from walls and chimneys. Taken bathrooms completely apart to get to the bees. Laid on my back under trailers with combs right in my face. Had one last year 45' up in the eave of a dormer.

Hidden areas? not sure what you mean there.

I just started making videos last year. If you look at my pictures you can see more of those I've done in the past.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline rufus

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 01:26:46 am »
And thank you very much JP for posting those videos, they are amazing!

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 02:39:17 am »
When you are as good as us ,all the jobs are easy :-D. Just kidding. We just make it fun and when you do that, the job become easy.      ..... Schawee
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:33:25 pm by schawee »
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 03:16:39 am »
Yes, thank you for the videos. They are as educational as they are entertaining. I guess with the time limits on the videos, you need to edit out the nitty-gritty parts :-D. Sorry, JP, if I offended.
Alan

Offline SerenityApiaries

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 03:22:32 am »
I can definitely say that some of those videos where they start in the morning, (with Schawee showing up a few hours later  :shock: ) and work through buffet lunch time and end late at night dirty and tired and looking forward to Chinese, Those seem like hard to do cutouts. I think the tricker is the fact the video is only 10 min long. Imagine a 6-7 hour long cut out video.  I would love to spend a weekend with you guys to get some good hands on experience doing cutouts but Oregon is a bit of a drive to your side of the woods. Vids will have to do for now. 

Khalen
Check out West Coast Beekeepers on FB. A great place for Beekeepers along the west coast of America. All are welcome.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 11:01:28 am »
Yes, thank you for the videos. They are as educational as they are entertaining. I guess with the time limits on the videos, you need to edit out the nitty-gritty parts :-D. Sorry, JP, if I offended.
Alan

I try and make them as interesting as possible within a small fraction of time.

In lieu of your thread about your removal from hell, I now understand where you were coming from!  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline SerenityApiaries

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 07:05:46 am »
JP,
Not sure if anyone else has asked but have you ever considered letting the camera roll while the cut out is happening and making training videos for other beekeepers that they could DL or buy? I am one who has I think managed to watch all your videos at least once, some rewind and play back again to see how you did something so I know for future. You and Schawee see to have fun with the removal as well as the video too. If you can't get yourself on the discovery channel yet maybe dvds may be an option for those of us eager to soak up the knowledge from a pro.  Looking forward to more good videos

Khalen

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 01:44:09 pm »
I know I've had removals I've gotten myself into that I wish I wouldn't have. You just never truly know what you are getting into until it's open. I'd say I only get one or two of those a year and they usually include my being exposed to extreme temperatures and hours and hours of work in a bee suit with little to no A/C. Some removals are easy some are beyond difficult.
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 02:00:37 pm »
I've learned that sometimes you just have to say no or up the ante to make it worthwhile.  I'm also a bleeding heart for the elderly and infirm.  Seems like I frequently get stuck helping out one or two of those a year with little or no payback other than I know I helped someone that really needed the help and had no means to make it happen on their own.  There is a different kind of payback in those scenarios.

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 02:17:50 pm »
  There is a different kind of payback in those scenarios.

You got that right. And it's worth more than you or I can imagine.
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 09:02:47 pm »
I have the same thing happen beyondthesidewalks and its just one of those things you view as paying it forward.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

anything