Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Installing nucs.  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Wombat

• House Bee
    • http://www.firstbees.blogspot.com
Installing nucs.
« on: March 25, 2006, 12:03:56 am »
Hi all, I started keeping last year and am familiar with installing a package of bees...however, this year I'm trying something new and have ordered 2 nucs from a local beek a little south of here, which I will be picking up sometime in the next few weeks...getting hyped!

My question is this - for the nucs I have been getting a lot of different opinions on starting them... should I be worried about feeding (I assume I would want to feed them)? For how long? Also, should I keep the entrances reduced (I assume I would, again)? If so, for how long?

And another quick one: Should I wait for the other 5 frames in the deep to be drawn out before I add another super? Should I be going with the 7/10 rule here (I assume I would AGAIN) before I add another deep?

Any input would be appreciated, as I still consider myself a novice at this ;)

Thanks a bundle yall

michael
www.firstbees.blogspot.com
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-St. Philo of Alexandria

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Installing nucs.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 07:07:07 am »
I fed mine until the first hive body was drawn, but if there is a flow on, you can probably stop.

Also, should I keep the entrances reduced (I assume I would, again)? If so, for how long?

You should keep the entrances reduced while feeding.  If you're not feeding you should keep them reduced until you get traffic jams at the largest setting. At that point they should be able to defend themselves.

Should I wait for the other 5 frames in the deep to be drawn out before I add another super? Should I be going with the 7/10 rule here

7/10 Rule as usual.

Hope that helps. Your nucs will grow much faster than your packages.

anything