Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new approved varroa treatment  (Read 4571 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
new approved varroa treatment
« on: January 06, 2006, 11:50:20 pm »
I found this on beesource

Apiguard has now been approved for treatment of Verroa in the USA and Dadant will be distributing it.

Read about it at http://www.vita-europe.com/products/apiguard.htm
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 01:48:34 am »
We have used in Finland thymol against varroa. It is used at late summer when out temperature is high enough.  Never heard that it affects against chalkbrood. All say that there are no medication against chalkbrood.

http://www.hunaja.net/smlkoti/koulutus/opintomateriaalit/varroaresults%20%202000%202002.ppt

There are brood in the hive when you give the cure. It needs also oxalic acid later.

Offline ian michael davison

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 01:32:03 pm »
Hi all
Apigaurd has been in use in the UK for a while now and it does work.  But follow the manufacturers guide lines with particular ref to the temperature. Some people and friends have said that it also helps with chalk brood but in bad cases the best cure for this is to requeen.

The product should never be used whilst honey stores that are to be extracted are on the hive as it WILL!!!!!!!!!!! taint the honey. Also it has been noted and i have seen it myself that some queens for some reason drop out of lay whilst the product is on the hive. As Finsky suggests it is best used inconjunction with Oxalic in the winter and other IPM methods during the season(Drone comb removal) The product is one of the very few recognised/approved alternatives we have available in the UK as resistant mites spread. Oxalic is being widely used on the quiet but it is only sold as a hive or equipment cleaner as it's not an aproved treatment.

Regards Ian

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 01:36:57 pm »
Oxalic acid is widely used in European countries for many years. It is not Finnish invention.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 01:49:53 pm »
Finsky and Ian, how do you apply the OA to your hives, Trickle method or vaporizer?
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 01:55:11 pm »
Quote from: TwT
Finsky and Ian, how do you apply the OA to your hives, Trickle method or vaporizer?

I put  trickling. Really easy.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 01:55:51 pm »
Quote from: TwT

I put  trickling. Really easy. But I do not know if it works with thracea mite.

Offline ian michael davison

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 03:00:09 pm »
Hi all
As Finman sorry FINSKY!!!! says (he does get around) trickling applied with a syringe 5ML per seam of bees.

If i used it  :lol: I would mix
1kg sugar with 1 litre warm water
TAKE THIS OUT SIDE!!!!! and whilst still warm(40C WHAT EVER THAT IS IN AMERICAN) mix in the crystals (35g) until completly disolved do'nt forget wear a suitable mask!!! and goggles and do not breath the steam/fumes.

For winter treatment(a brood less period is the ideal) the hives can be opened and 5ml is applied of the WARM mix between each frame/seam of bees. Oxalic is also good for treating packages/swarms/or shook swarms in cages. Mite drop can be checked by placing a card under the cage. OXALIC APPLIED IN THIS WAY DOES NOT KILL  mites that are in cells.

Regards Ian

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 03:11:34 pm »
Ian, I have a little bit different formula. This is for  3-5 hives.

Cure is given when when brood is away and bees are in winter ball. +5 - +10C (41-50F) is good temperature.  Bees may fly back to hive at this temperature but even colder is good.  

Brood area contains mites. It it best to destroy them if it is small. If bees do not fly and you put frame out, birds will pick brood from frame. If you leave brood you may have hundreds of mites there.  

Get a vaccination syringe from drugstore so you see ecaxtly needed measure to spray.  

You may put paper on bottom boad before handling. You will se how much you get mites when you take it away.  

Recipe:

Take 7,5 gr oxalic acetic powder and put it into 0,1 liter warm water.  
Take 100 gr sugar and dilute it in the solution.  

(Euro coin is just 7,5 g. You can weight your coin and you can use as weight. Own balance is easy to do. Our coin weights are in internet. There are cheap digital kitchen balances in stores which have 1 g accuracy. )

This 160 ml volume is enough for 3-5 hives, depending of the amount of bees .  

Give droplets together  4 ml solution in one gap of frames, which is full of bees from edge to edge.  Not more.

Do not give for one box hive more than 40 ml, and this only for hive which is totally full of bees.  

Do not give for 2 box hive more than 50 ml.  

DON'T GIVE TWICE HANDLING. It is harmfull.

anything