Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help finding a queen excluder  (Read 3693 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Help finding a queen excluder
« on: December 24, 2012, 11:16:27 am »
Ok, I'm looking for a stamped sheet steel queen excluder.  I have the wire mesh type but want to build a cloke board. I think the stamped steel type would work better. Anyone have a line on where I can buy one?
Later,
Ray

Offline kdm

• House Bee
Re: Help finding a queen excluder
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 04:07:51 pm »
I have a few laying around. I would give you a couple.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 11:14:38 am »
I have a few laying around. I would give you a couple.

Merry Christmas, Thanks kdm, I really appreciate the offer. I feel the need to offer something in return, pay shipping or something. Send me a PM about how you would like to do this. What supplier did you get them from?
Later,
Ray

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 09:43:26 am »
The last place they were available was Walter T. Kelley but for the past few decades you could only buy them in lots of 100.  I don't see them in the catalog anymore.  They seemed to have dropped them a few years ago.  They were handy for some things, but hard on the bees' wings.  For small applications I usually use #5 hardware cloth.  For larger things like a cloake board, I use the wire ones.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 10:45:47 am »
pm sent I was not here yesterday and we had a blizzard here last night so it will be a day or two before i can send them . Hope you had a Merry Christmas

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 02:24:03 pm »
I have a few of the stamped excluder's that someone gave me. The edges of the stamped holes are very sharp. I would think that they will damage your bees. The few cloake boards that I have are made out of round wire or plastic. Try Brushy Mountain for the plastic excluder cloake board.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 06:13:22 pm »
I have a few of the stamped excluder's that someone gave me. The edges of the stamped holes are very sharp. I would think that they will damage your bees. The few cloake boards that I have are made out of round wire or plastic. Try Brushy Mountain for the plastic excluder cloake board.

I looked at the Brushy Mtn. cloake board but I'm trying to save a few dollars this year by making my own equipment. I figured that the stamped excluders would be thin enough to fit in a single pass saw blade kerf. I have a few wooden bound wire excluders from Rossman. They appear to be double the thickness I would expect the stamped type to be and might require a second pass with the saw.

They were handy for some things, but hard on the bees' wings.  For small applications I usually use #5 hardware cloth.  For larger things like a cloake board, I use the wire ones.

I plan to use a wire wheel to smooth the sharp edges. Michael I have not seen the #5 hardware cloth. I caught the devil finding #6 mesh for my SHB traps and it cost me about $600 for a 100ft roll. Sounds like #5 could be used in lieu of an excluder.
Later,
Ray

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 12:50:35 am »
Ray,
I just built a cloake board. I used a wire excluder. Used a table saw to cut the grove. I just set the blade offset of center and turned the board around to cut the other side and kept adjusting it until the excluder fit. You could also use a router to cut the kerf.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:46:52 am »
Ray have you seen ....

Walter T. Kelley cloake board
1 wood bound queen excluder

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Detail/?id=3336333533393335&grouped=1

Add 3 strip of wood with groove and put in floor.DONE

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Detail/?id=33323332333033363330

Brushy Mountain use a plastic queen excluder
I have see Brushy Mountain for the plastic excluder cloake board and I have see the plastic break.
IMHO The End of the cloake board

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Cloake-Board/productinfo/632/

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:03:52 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 10:12:35 am »
I made my cloake board with some one by with the corner cut out (although I bet there is a molding that would work) and no excluder in it.  When I've used it I put the excluder on the next box down.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenrearing.htm#FWOF
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 12:12:51 pm »
Michael..........

What keep the Queen in the bottom box if the floor is not in  :?

How to use a cloake board 
http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/queen-rearing/

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 05:59:19 pm »
Ray I sent them today. sent pm

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 12:41:59 pm »
Just wanted to say thanks for all of your ideas, options, construction tips and generosity. Most of all your time. You guys have given me quite a bit to consider to incorporate in the final design.  I'll let you know how it turns out.
Later,
Ray

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 02:10:26 pm »
>What keep the Queen in the bottom box if the floor is not in

The excluder under the next box down.  But you could put a bound one under it if you like...
-------------------