Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: polen and polen substitutes  (Read 4673 times)

Offline mat

• House Bee
polen and polen substitutes
« on: March 14, 2006, 02:27:44 pm »
I checked my two hives today. They have planty of bees and a lot of food. I saw the queen in one, but nither had the brood. I overwintered them on three deep supers. Today I took the lowest one and put on the inner cover. There was some capped honey but also some polen. Now, are they going to take the polen down or I need to find the way to put those frames back? Another question about polen patty. I gave it to both hives a week ago. No any brood or egs today. Is the patty going to stimulate the queens to start laying or the need some real pole?
mat

Offline Chad S

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 03:45:02 pm »
For egg laying you need nectar, and pollen(natural), or syrup, and patties(man made).  It's a bit early to try to get the queen laying.  I think temps in the northern part of the state will be in the mid 20's tonight.  If she starts laying out frames and the brood gets chilled you will have no brood, and the bees will have to clean out the cells.  You know Andy Reseska (Boston Apiaries I believe) is in your area and has a big operation see if he can give you an Idea on timing.

Chad

Offline mat

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 05:15:04 pm »
It was almost 60 today here in Franklin. But I know, we can have winter back any time. Thanks for the response.
mat

Offline mat

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 05:58:08 pm »
I just called Fred Lagrant. They dont even bother to look for the brood this time. Just clining, medications and feeding if necessery, and look if they start bringing polen. This would be sign that queen is lying.
mat

Offline Chad S

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 10:00:33 am »
It's Frank Lagrant.  He is a great resource too.  Amy from this board has worked with him.  I have a couple of his Northern bred Italian queens, and will be going back to him when I do my increases in May.  Both queens made it through the winter, and are doing very well.  Stop by and see them some time they are both very nice.

It was 28deg and windy last night up here.  I put an entrance reducer back on last night.  I have an air chanel between the inner and outter cover.  The entrance has two one inch holes on either side.  It's all about the air flow :wink: .

Chad

Offline mat

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 11:17:09 am »
I was thinking Frank  typed Fred. I started with two hives from him last year, and already ordered another three for this spring. Those bees are really great. Last year I took 80# from a hive, even though it was very bad spring.
mat

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 10:11:12 pm »
I put pollen patties on back at Christmas.  :)  I put pollen in an empty hive for an open pollen feeder in February.  The bees have been tearing it up.  I don't find syrup to be much of a brood rearing stimulant.  Pollen is the key.  Feed if they are hungry.  Be careful not to feed too much syrup or they will clog up the brood nest and swarm.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Chad S

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 01:47:42 pm »
Hey Mat,

Yesterday I took a peak in one of the hives that I put the pollen patty in last week at that time I also added a third deep from a colony that I lost.  This deep had honey on the top half of the frames.  Any way the bees were up in it even though it was chilly up here yesterday.  One of the frames was not seated well so I pulled it just for fun.  The frame had fresh brood in it, and I saw the queen.  Just thought I would mention it since last week I had said it was a little early to get started.  It will be interesting to see if they can keep the brood warm enough.

Chad

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 03:13:00 pm »
I start pollen patty feeding when snow is most places in ground. At night temperature may be -8C.

It is important that days are +5C and bees get water almost every day. If it is so cold that they cannot come out larvae will be destoyed or they become sick. They get chalk brood. Last spring every hive destroyed their larvae because they got no water during whole week.

So it is vain to begin to feel pollen patty if you wait snowfall which cover ground several days.

When I start pollen feeding after one week bees have a lot larvae.  Normally after winter queen lay some eggs all the time but bees not feed them.  The lack of pollen hinds brood rearing.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 05:04:58 pm »
I've been gone to Ireland for the past 10 days, Just back last night.

Right before I left, it was warm so I went down to the hive and dug around a bit.  I had put on a hive top feeder and they were hitting it during warm days.  I found the queen trotting around on one of the frames checking out cells. I didn't see any eggs or brood though at that time.  They have pollen and syrup right now, but they did a bang up job in the fall getting set up.  

I'm waiting for another warm day so I can see if they have started any brood.  They have plenty of food, honey, pollen, etc. . .

Frank Lagrant is a great resource.  Very nice guy with alot of info.  I'm getting another nuc from him this spring also.

Offline mat

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 05:43:21 pm »
I didn't check on mine. It is cold and very windy here. I just gave them another patty. I will wait for warmer day. I hope the patty will will do the job.
mat

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 02:13:29 am »
Quote from: mat
It is cold and very windy here.

If bees consume  patty in one week, it should mean that they  have brood.

Offline mat

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 06:05:26 pm »
Gues what. They are bringing pollen. Today was very nice, 50 F and calm. I had to look for a while to notice this because the pockets are small and gray, berelly visible.
mat

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 06:11:45 pm »
I didn't see any pollen on my girls today while they were out, but I'm going to take a closer look this week.

Offline Virginia Beekeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 07:44:14 pm »
If you have plenty of bees and plenty of stores it sounds like your bees are doing just fine. They will let you know when it's time to get them to increase. Just watch the entrance as often as possible.  If your bees are flying good and you are pleased with what you see then let them do there own thing. I don't bother to check my hives until around the first of April. I do however  look under the cover to make sure they have plenty of stores that I can easily see with out removing any frames.
Watching you bees at the entrance this will give you a very good idea of how they are doing. But if you have lots of bees and stores you both must be doing thing correctly.

Bill

Offline mountain mike

• New Bee
there ya go
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 10:08:01 pm »
thanks for the info on spring pollen feeding. i was wondering when we should start here. we're just north of woodstock ,vt. guess we will wait till april in lue of some warmer weather here in the middle of the green mountains.
   our bees are an amazing story....we got our first two hives from frank and bernadette lagrant three years ago. the first year , one died...it could have been a number of things.we were complelely green in hands on experience.
    the good news is THREE years later the hive that survived is thriving,  along with three others we purchased as nukes last spring. these bees are doing great with no sign of mites and we have not done anything for our bees in the form of medications...nothing. this year we didnt even insulate against the cold...and it is dag gum cold here.
   my question ... have we just been blessed by the creator?...lucky? (in case your not a believer)...or, are beekeepers just getting ripped off by a bee pharmeceutical scam?(i dont really believe that), do bees that arn't babied just plain get tougher (possibly reverting to smaller cells quicker) hard tellin' not knowin'......   who knows ! i dont .....we just praise God and love our bees,
      how do you make a pollen patty ?need a recipe please........                          mm. :D  :D  :D  :D  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :roll:  :idea:
mlb

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 02:01:43 am »
Read this first and don't trust blessing. Just with skill :P

I think that in beekeeping  1/3  is skill, 1/3 weather and 1/3 luck

Read :

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/apiculture/factsheets/423_nutrition.pdf

http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/bkCD/HBBiology/nutrition_supplements.htm

Recipe:

http://beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=2342&highlight=pollen+patty