Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: testing of honey  (Read 1974 times)

Offline yaser al khuja

• New Bee
testing of honey
« on: July 31, 2009, 03:46:29 pm »
please send me methods of testing of honey in order to discover the play "addition of extraneous or foreign materials" to honey
yk

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: testing of honey
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:27:10 pm »
Only test I ever heard of is done in a Lab! That's why it is not pursued that often ---- COST.
John 3:16

Offline yaser al khuja

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 03:44:30 pm »
thanks sc-bee
yk

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 10:49:03 pm »
A water testing lab that runs analysis for VOCs, IOCs and SOCs would be able to do this.  In the USA, it cost about $600 per sample to do a basic chemical contaminant analysis.  There are very specific sampling, handling and preservation requirements that need to be carefully followed.  Check with your local laboratory.  Make sure that the laboratory is "ELAP" certified.  In order for the lab to be certified, they need a very strict QA/QC program including QA analysis of routine "unknown" samples.

If the basic analysis shows some "detects" of some chemical "families", then you probably will need to do more testing to verify the detect and narrow down the possible source of contamination.

In laboratory analysis language, any material in a matrix is considered a "contaminant".  The reported quantitative results will need to be compared to the results reported for a "clean" sample.   
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 08:53:27 am »
>please send me methods of testing of honey in order to discover the play "addition of extraneous or foreign materials" to honey

>If the basic analysis shows some "detects" of some chemical "families", then you probably will need to do more testing to verify the detect and narrow down the possible source of contamination.

I may be way off. I took it to mean as in corn syrup in honey. Maybe this would be considered a chmical in a test. I have no idea :? :-D!
John 3:16

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:03:57 pm »
I may be way off. I took it to mean as in corn syrup in honey. Maybe this would be considered a chmical in a test. I have no idea :? :-D!

Your are probably right.  I was thinking of antibiotics, pesticides and processing contaminants. 
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson